New board advice pls!

iduly21

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-10-10

Posted: 10 October 2010 11:33 PM

Alright so i really need some help deciding on boards to buy!

I’ve been scouting online and i’ve got a general idea of what i’m looking for but i could use some input and advice. I’m getting serious about hitting the park a lot this season and i’m starting to realize how lost i am about camber and all that. So, 90% of the time i’m going to be riding park, mostly jumps/rails and goin as fast as i possibly can haha. I’ve been lookin’ at lib tech’s skate bana, gnu’s park pickle, rome’s pusher, a couple k2 boards, and a few burtons. I’m not sure what to do at this point so any input would be sick. I’m lost about all the lingo like “buttery” and “jibbing” and “true twin” and “directional.”

-Thanks folks!

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 11 October 2010 06:10 PM

Hey iduly,
you’re welcome to check out our Basics section to get some more general knowledge about snowboards.

With spending 90% of your time in the park you probably want to go with a rocker hybrid or pure rocker.
Check out the K2 Fastplant and Darkstar and maybe the Rossi Angus, read the tests and descriptions on our website and let me know if it’s that what you are looking for!

Mind telling us your body measurements so we can give you some more advanced information!

iduly21

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-10-10

Posted: 11 October 2010 10:11 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply i really appreciate it!

The Fastplant and the Darkstar are both really great boards it appears, i’m still reading through the reviews and descriptions to get a feel for them.

For measurements, i’m 5’9, 155 pounds and wear a size 10.5 shoe US.

As for the rocker hybrid and pure rocker you mentioned i’m still getting used to the lingo and what’s good for park. I’m starting to get a feel for which things are better for park and such.

Thanks!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 12 October 2010 12:05 AM

For all-out park riding I think Jib rocker (flat between the bindings and rockered at the nose and tail) offers good performance but is really forgiving too. The Fastplant is a great board if you are riding park 90% of the time.

iduly21

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-10-10

Posted: 12 October 2010 01:41 AM

Yeah definitely a great board that i’m putting a lot of thought into, i really like it!

Obviously if i’m spending a fair amount of money i want to make sure i’m getting the best deal i can ( Not saying that the Fastplant isn’t a great deal or that you’re not recommending good boards =] ).

Just for the sake of discussion what’s your opinion on the burton custom and custom flying v boards? I’ve been checking them out and all the new technologies they’ve put into their boards recently.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 12 October 2010 03:07 PM

I’m a big fan of the Custom Flying V, in-fact riding this seasons was the first time I’ve ever ridden a Burton Custom! It’s quite different to the Fastplant, the waist is narrower, the construction is poppier and less weighty and the edges grip firm, it’s quite an aggressive snowboard that definitely suits pipe riding and 8m+ kicker riding. The Fastplant was a little damper and felt more ridden in, I felt more relaxed than ever hitting the bigger table top at Kaunertal (even though in the video review I’m waving my arm around like a dimented Orchestra director)... I felt I wanted to start throwing spins as soon as I’d done a straight air practice run, and that never happens. On rails it was planted and damp and it felt agile in approach and forgiving on landings. Even when I landed heavy on the tail, it dealt with it. The damp and mellow flex mean it’s as dialled for rails as it is for kickers where as the Custom feels like you need to work it to get the most out of it and therefore it made me a little nervous in board slides.

If I had a slider with PARK/JIB at one end and ALL MOUNTAIN at the other, starting at 1 and finishing at ten, I’d say:

Burton Custom: PARK (1)- 6.5 -(10) ALL MOUNTAIN
K2 Fastplant: PARK (1)- 4 -(10) ALL MOUNTAIN

iduly21

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-10-10

Posted: 12 October 2010 03:31 PM

Well thanks for that review! Haha and your videos are great no worries ha i’m constantly flailing on landings, sometimes it looks like i’m attempting the backstroke in mid air when i do jumps =] haha

Those ratings seem accurate to their descriptions i definitely see the customs as boards that would be more geared toward all moutain riding. As for the chanel the burtons have i don’t necessarily think i need that technology yet, seeing as if i’m cruising park i don’t really need that much room to adjust my stance.

I appreciate all the help i can tell you’re pushing toward the fastplant which i deffinitely am too it’s got everything i’m looking for i just want to make sure it’s the best, ya know? =]

Just to finish off my list of boards on my mind,if you’d be willing to take the time, i could cross some off my list.

I’m also looking at the rome pusher, the gnu park pickle and the lib tech skate banana, i’m going purely off website and youtube reviews as i’ve never riden any so any feedback is great.

Thanks again for taking the time =]

Search the Forum: