Posted: 05 October 2010 05:55 PM
Hi there,
I’m looking for a bit of info on a good beginner/intermediate woman’s board. A bit of info about me, started snowboaring in 1998 but only went a few times a year and basically reverted back again each year. But not afraid of a few spills. Last year spent a week in Chile and found the love again.
I have rented, borrowed all sorts of boards over the years but last year rented a 145 Burton (not sure which type) in Canada. I loved the way I could actually control it and felt comfortable. I did notice however that when I would try to go fast it would shudder a bit and the turns were a little bit difficult to hold.
My sister who is a intermediate/advanced rider tried out the Endeavour Boyfriend this year in the NZ season. She loved it and is around the same size as me. I have since been reading up on the Endeavour Boards and like the philisophy behind the brand.
But essentially I am still a newbie to purchasing a board. I am going to get my boots fitted and plan on buying some high end Flow bindings as the NZ snow can be a little slushy and I would prefer not to sit down as much.
My next trips are a week boarding in Panorama this Northern hemisphere winter and then a week in Wanaka/Queenstown in the Southern Hemisphere winter when I return home.
I don’t want to play in the park. I just dont think my body can handle all the bangs anymore. I want to ride the pistes and play in the pow when available. I am probably not going to want to go super fast but a bit of speed never hurt - much. I plan on going back to Chile/Argentina so something that will take me there and back to NZ where icy conditions are fairly regular.
I am 5"4, 130lbs, size 7.5 street shoe
Would the Endeavour Boyfriend be a good board for me? I have also been told Burton Feelgood might suit me.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Posted: 06 October 2010 01:58 AM
Welcome to our forum!
The Endeavour Boyfriend and Burton Feelgood are both great decks… I am not wise up on the Boyfriend but the Feelgood is rockered this year which will help out as you are still learning.
As for Flows, have you ever tried them? They are very much a personal preference binding… I had some old high end Flows that I tried and hated them with a passion. As long as you have some good pants slush won’t wet your bum. :)
Another set of boards to add to the mix are Roxy boards, they are made by Mervin and have a lot of cool tech that the Lib Tech/Gnu boards have minus their price tags. The only thing I despise is the lack of a full wrap-around metal edge… they say that is to reduce swing weight of the board, I say it’s to reduce manufacturing costs.
That’s my two cents, either board you’d probably really enjoy.
Posted: 06 October 2010 02:23 PM
Yeah I second that, Roxy boards are really good value for money right now, not too dissimilar to the Feelgood flying v in profile. I’m also a fan of Endeavor boards, owner Max is an A1 geeza, he’s been super helpful with doing interviews for this site. The Boyfriend is ideal for progessing on a board, softish flex, freestyle shape and good price… a pretty good bet and this years graphics are quality!
I’m 100% with Reloaded on the binding front, until you know you like flows, it’s a gamble. I think they ride like implements of torture! It might be better to go for a rear entry strap binding like the Apo Expresso, K2 Cinch or SP (can’t remeber the model name) bindings. These give you independent twekaing control of the fit. Or go for Ride Contraband bindings which look great, are much lighter and only have one ratchet strap so access is easy… check them out, they’re cool, a lot of riders in the uk, used to riding short indoor runs swear by them.
Rich
Posted: 06 October 2010 06:40 PM
Hey guys,
thanks for the info I’ll def look into the bindings a bit more.
Just a question on the size. I think I might go for the Boyfriend board, do you think the 145 would be ok for me? Or maybe move up to to the 148?
In saying that I’ll check out the Roxy boards as well. Doesn’t hurt to do a bit more research before making the committment!
Cheers!
Posted: 06 October 2010 08:26 PM
The longer the deck, the more stability (less chatter when going fast) and edgehold (especially on icier ground) it will provide.
I think you would be okay with the 145 but as you are not planning on riding park, you could probably also go with the 148 and get some of the above mentioned advantages.
Posted: 06 October 2010 09:21 PM
Yeah go for the 148.. looks striking with the Purple topsheet too.
Posted: 06 October 2010 10:03 PM
Thanks heaps for the responses!
I’m looking forward to my new set-up! Looking into the K2 Cinch bindings - look interesting. And the 148 Endeavour Boyfriend seems to be a winner.
Hopefully progress enough this season to take an Endeavour Diamond home with me as well to NZ. Well only cause this years and last years graphics are super awesome!
Cheers guys!
Posted: 06 October 2010 10:15 PM
Agreed, the Diamond looks amazing too. But honestly, pick out an Endeavor Snowboard with a rubbish graphic… it’s impossible! Endeavor smash it every year. Last year the other guys who work on this site and I chose the Endeavor Roots as the best looking board of the season, this season we picked the Endeavor Hi 5. Pure art on a very odd canvas.
Posted: 08 October 2010 05:49 PM
Thanks guys for all the info.
Just have another quick question. Board bags - any recommendations?
Looking for something that will carry 2 boards, boots, helmuts, goggles and still have everything in one piece when I get back to NZ from Canada!
Cheers!
Posted: 08 October 2010 06:33 PM
Tom’s right, there aren’t any particular board bags I can recommend but with all the stuff you want to transport in it, I’m sure one with wheels would do good!
Just check some websites for bags and search the web for comments on the ones you picked out. There might be some minor or major reasons going around the web why to buy or not to buy a certain bag.
Good luck and feel free to review your board bag as a tip or warning here at the forums =)
Cheers, Tobi
Posted: 08 October 2010 06:33 PM
Burton Luggage - high quality… expensive
DaKine Luggage - high quality… expensive
Basically, good luggage is expensive, which is why my board bag is rubbish and Tom’s broke after about 20 minutes of use.
Posted: 08 October 2010 06:50 PM
What you talking about Ricardo?..........My board bag is wicked. I see the envy on your face every time I wheel that sucka about. It’s been all over the World (from Europe to South America to NZ…....and soon California) and it’s still going strong!
You and your 12 year-old wheel-less boardbag can go and take a hike!........A long and uncomfortable one!