Nitro SubZero 2010 vs Burton TWC Stand 2011

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

soho1974

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-09-28

Posted: 28 September 2010 12:21 AM

hello everybody, and pls excuse my english grammar as i´m not an english speaker.
I´m sort of begginer on this matter (just two year ridding!) and like to buy my first board. After cheking my local stores I found two final boards thats suits my pocket… and, i think, what I´m looking on a s-board.
the Nitro Sub Zero & the Burton TWC St.
I´m 1,70 cm high and about 70kg. I’m not very much into the velocity thing, more I like just ride down the hill - so far! Maybe next year i’ll try the park… or not.

pls, which one would you recon? The gay at the store said the Nitro is much better tan the Burton, but I think that he probably wants to sell it because is out of stock!!!

Thank you very much for your help!
bye!

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 28 September 2010 08:05 AM

Hey soho,
actually the Sub Zero as well as the TWC Standard are totally park focused rides, as far as I can see.
For charging down the piste, as you mostly do, they will probably not be the right choices as they are more like park noodles with less grip, stability and edgehold than other decks with a stiffer flex pattern which will be way better for your needs.
Even if you are a beginner, getting a deck too soft will not help you progress faster at all.

Try out our “Board Selecta!” in the navigation above and have a look at the board it suggests, then come back here with more questions about the decks you liked!

Cheers, Tobi

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 September 2010 02:13 PM

Yeah both of these boards are great if you want to start freestyling in the park, doing some rails and kickers, and you’ll have a lot of fun doing butters and hitting jumps on the side of the pistes. You might want a slightly firmer board with a flex more like 5-6 / 10 if you want to ride fast on groomer and venture off piste.

Which area of your snowboarding do you want to progress with? You mentioned that you wanted to start riding the Park do you still need the board to help develop your general carving and freeriding?

soho1974

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-09-28

Posted: 28 September 2010 10:14 PM

:ahhh:  oh god you must be kidding guys, I thought I had the solution!!! I made your test and found 5 boards i´ve never heard of. Also I made the Burton test on his website and the TWC suit me 100% (also the Clas and the Blunt) - thats what they say of course.

I dont want to be rude but I think i´ll try the Burton one. I´m months thinking about what to do and like to finish it…  :red:

I´d like to thanks your interest and please, any advice would be highly appreciated (believed it or not!)

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 September 2010 10:37 PM

No probs. TWC sounds like a good choice, just make sure it is wide enough for your feet. Shaun’s boards are usually quite narrow.

skip11

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 110 Joined 2010-07-22

Posted: 29 September 2010 06:27 AM

You might also want to check whats the difference between the TWC standard and the TWC pro though. I heard that they ride pretty different.

soho1974

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-09-28

Posted: 29 September 2010 10:56 PM

Well, seems like I already had a choice and probably what I was looking for was a confirmation.
Probably you’re right and the board could be too “soft”, but I’m scared to be bored of it on one year time if I get a hard one. By the way, on your “Choosing a Beginners Snowboard” place, i saw the Burton Clash, wich (i belive) is not much diferent from the TWC!!!
Anyway, thaks again (to all / for all) your advce, i’m glad i found this forum where real people give real answers the begginers can understand, he he…

take care! ;)

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 29 September 2010 11:26 PM

Massive difference between the TWC and Clash; one is built for the worlds best Pipe rider and the other is designed for beginner to intermediate riders. The TWC has a stiffness of 6 thanks to lightening bolts, carbon i-Beams and regular camber but the Clash has a v-rocker profile and a flex of 2…...the TWC is a serious bit of kit, just look at the difference in specs:

CLASH

Cruise Control
EZ V-rocker profile
Directional shape with 3 to 6mm of taper depending on size
Twin flex
Fly® Core with Negative Profile
Biax™ fiberglass laminates
Extruded base
Cruise Control Tune
Slantwall sidewalls.
Feel: 2

TWC

The Channel ICS bindings system
Camber profile
Directional shape and flex
Super Fly II™ Core with Dualzone™ EGD™ and Negative Profile
Triax™ Fiberglass with Lightning Bolts and Carbon I-Beam
Sintered WFO base
Frostbite Edges with Grip and Rip™ Tune
Slantwall sidewalls
Pro-Tip™ and Infinite Ride™
Feel: 6

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 30 September 2010 11:17 AM

Tom, there are infact two TWC boards, the Pro and the Standard. The standard is much lower spec and a lot softer. A kind of started board for aspiring Shaun Whites. Although I’m sure it’s cambered, the rest of the spec probably isn’t too dissmilar to the Clash.

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 30 September 2010 12:24 PM

Wooops…............apologies. Although I think everybody aspires to ride like Shaun White in the pipe! Any chance we could get it on the site?

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 30 September 2010 12:41 PM

And yes the specs are pretty-much identical to the specs of the Clash, it’s even got an ez flying v profile like the Clash…....the fact that both boards come with a ‘Learn To Ride’ ticket for a free liftpass and beginner lesson, at selected resorts, kinda’ gives it away. Apologies Soho1974 I’ll eat my words on this occasion, the standard TWC should have gone in the list of beginner boards too.

I should leave this Forum thing to the everlasting know-it-all…....aka Rich!

soho1974

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-09-28

Posted: 30 September 2010 11:58 PM

The TWC Standart is EZ V-rocker (sure!) Also is the Nitro SubZero 2010.

soho1974

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-09-28

Posted: 03 October 2010 01:37 PM

hi again! Can someone tell me something about the K2 Raygun board? Would it suit me? Is it goog for a begginer…?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 03 October 2010 05:26 PM

Yeah, the Raygun would be a good choice. A reasonable price, medium flex, directional twin shape and rocker profile for easy turn initaiation and less catchy feel. The K2 Raygun would be a good choice.

soho1974

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-09-28

Posted: 04 October 2010 07:24 AM

great! I like the board and I believe K2 is a good brand. I’ll go and get it.
thanks for your coments Rich (and everyone)!!!

soho1974

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-09-28

Posted: 07 October 2010 02:09 AM

hi again! ...er well, I went and bought the K2 Raygun but now i’m in doubt. I’m 1,71 cm tall and 74 kg weigh and the sealer gave me the 156 board. I think I should wear the 153 (but hey who am I!? I know nothing!). The fact is I asked some people and I was told I should wear the 153. Well, what do you think? should i change it for the 153 or should I stay on the 156???

Pls, I’m very worry!!!

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

Search the Forum: