New board, best board for best price

gfreeman

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-08-10

Posted: 10 August 2010 06:52 PM

Just a little background, I have been riding for about 12 years, would consider myself intermediate. I ride anything from parks to bowls, but I am from Illinois so I don’t get a lot of days in every year. Riding out west is limited to one vacation a year usually. It’s even worse now that I’m living in Texas, but at least I’m close enough for a (more reasonable) drive to Colorado now!

Anyways, now that I have graduated college and am working I can invest some decent money in a board, but I would prefer not going over 400 bucks. Even buying last years model doesn’t bother me. Actually, all the boards I have bought have been from the prior year cuz the deals to me are just to great to pass up. You can get great boards for a great price this way.

I have always owned ride boards because I love the feel, but I notice I often haven’t been able to keep up with friends who are riding Burton’s or K2 even when I’m really pumping to pick up speed. This may just be due to my specific board.

That said, I am open to suggestions on any brand, model, and year and really am just looking to get the best bang for my buck when it comes to all around riding. Because I travel, I just stick to one board, it’s too big a pain to travel with more than one so I really need something that can do anything. Open to all suggestions, not closed minded or biased, so feel free to throw anything out there. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I am average height so boards for taller riders are out-of-the-question.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 10 August 2010 10:05 PM

Hey there gfreeman, welcome to our forums!

Before throwing any suggestions out there, I’d like to get some more informations about your riding style. You said you are looking for something that is capable of doing it all from park to piste, but which one is your preferred terrain and do you plan on improving mainly your park or piste/powder skills? Do you ride pow at all?
You are of average heigth, so I assume so is your foot size?

Try to deliver some more informations for some more detailed suggestions from our side! =)

There are some decent decks out there with high-grade sintered bases with which your buddies won’t see anymore but your back, charging down the piste!

gfreeman

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-08-10

Posted: 12 August 2010 06:09 AM

Hey there gfreeman, welcome to our forums!

Before throwing any suggestions out there, I’d like to get some more informations about your riding style. You said you are looking for something that is capable of doing it all from park to piste, but which one is your preferred terrain and do you plan on improving mainly your park or piste/powder skills? Do you ride pow at all?
You are of average heigth, so I assume so is your foot size?

Try to deliver some more informations for some more detailed suggestions from our side! =)

There are some decent decks out there with high-grade sintered bases with which your buddies won’t see anymore but your back, charging down the piste!

Woops, guess I left a few things out. I am looking for more of a board to work on powder riding. The board I have now is a twin so I can use that in the park, and seeing as it is a bit beat up it is a decent board for working on new stuff cuz i don’t care much about dinging it up. I love riding bowls, there is not a better feeling. I am thinking a directional twin is the way to go as I write this, but I assume there may be some twins out there that will do what I want also.

My boot size is a ten and I am about 5’9. Hopefully that’s all the info you need. If anything else, just ask away.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 12 August 2010 08:35 AM

First board that came to my mind: The K2 Turbodream: A rockered deck ideal for taking it all over the mountain!
The float in pow is great thanks to the all terrain rocker with a lower tail and a mid-high nose.
On the review page it says it does have a directional shape, I’m not quite sure if it’s not directional twin, as last year, though.
Maybe Rich can help us out there..
Anyway, you can also take the TurboDream out in the park with ease, although you should be aware of that it might not be the perfect rail killer or anything. Oh and the Harshmellow dampening K2 puts on some of their decks seems to work really great as well, so that’s another plus for the ride!
It’s also available in wide, but I think you will be just fine with the regular width.

A little less park-ish but also great for piste and pow would be forum member Reloaded’s board of dreams: The Rossgnol One MagTek.
Directional twin with Rossignols already legendary Amptek Rocker profile (check out the rocker explanations in our Snowboard Guide - Basics Section in case you want to learn more about the different rocker profiles).

So yeah, that’s it for now, let me know what you think and tell me if you are thinking about some other special brand or something completely different.
Cheers, Tobi

skip11

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 110 Joined 2010-07-22

Posted: 12 August 2010 12:49 PM

If you’re trying to buy a good 2011 snowboard at 400 dollars max, I think it’s kinda hard to find. Two boards that comes to mind at 400 bucks are the Capita Indoor Survival FK and the Capita Quiver Killers.

gfreeman

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-08-10

Posted: 12 August 2010 02:55 PM

zoryfl - 12 August 2010 11:35 AM

First board that came to my mind: The K2 Turbodream: A rockered deck ideal for taking it all over the mountain!
The float in pow is great thanks to the all terrain rocker with a lower tail and a mid-high nose.
On the review page it says it does have a directional shape, I’m not quite sure if it’s not directional twin, as last year, though.
Maybe Rich can help us out there..
Anyway, you can also take the TurboDream out in the park with ease, although you should be aware of that it might not be the perfect rail killer or anything. Oh and the Harshmellow dampening K2 puts on some of their decks seems to work really great as well, so that’s another plus for the ride!
It’s also available in wide, but I think you will be just fine with the regular width.

A little less park-ish but also great for piste and pow would be forum member Reloaded’s board of dreams: The Rossgnol One MagTek.
Directional twin with Rossignols already legendary Amptek Rocker profile (check out the rocker explanations in our Snowboard Guide - Basics Section in case you want to learn more about the different rocker profiles).

So yeah, that’s it for now, let me know what you think and tell me if you are thinking about some other special brand or something completely different.
Cheers, Tobi

Actually I was really looking at the MagTek. Love the look of it and it seems like everyone that rides it loves it too. I’ll look at these suggestions here and get back to you! Thanks again.

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 14 August 2010 11:52 AM

Awwww, the Rossi One MagTek…  if I had the cash…  I will ride that beast, lol. :)

These guys will give you a ton of great deck selections, I want to add one little itty bitty thing regardless of what you buy…  if you want to keep up and even pass your friends you need to wax yer deck!

Honestly waxing is super important, seems like manufactures are making even extruded bases that are wicked fast so waxing takes it a step further and keeps you flying.

One example, I was stuck in a place where I couldn’t hot wax…  I was pissed but I wasn’t going to pay $20 bucks to have someone else do it.  It was spring so slush was the norm.  I bought some simple rub-on warm temp wax.  I rode a K2 which is “factory waxed”, it was fine the first time out…  nothing special.  Second time I applied the rub-on, it was bananas…  I was bombing down, I kidded you not a very noticeable difference.

It is so worth the investment and time, I wax pretty much after every 3 trip and it makes a huge difference.  I find it oddly therapeutic too, but I might be short a few cards of a full deck.

gfreeman

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-08-10

Posted: 15 August 2010 07:36 AM

Thanks man. Yeah I agree. I have rode for about 12 years and always wax. I just haven’t bought a new deck forever! I can’t wait, and I have decided on the MagTek! I’ll let everyone know how it rides!

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 15 August 2010 08:38 PM

OMG!  Good man!  That deck should KILL it next season!  Can’t wait to read about it!

I need to contact the local Rossi dealer to find when they are gonna get the 2010’s in.

Search the Forum: