Posted: 22 April 2010 12:57 AM
Only got a day and a half on the mountain this year so I’m pissed. For this reason I shall vent my spleen
by bitching out crappy snowboard rental equipment in France as a lead up to my question.
I am 6’2, 87kg (13 stone I think) Size 11 Saloman F22’s, Ride Fleetwood ‘61 deck 1” setback.
I bought my board after three seasons of having rental shops try to palm off, size ‘56-58 boards on me, that were skinnier the Kate Moss. Never lookuyed back, love my board.
The only problem is that I can’t ride switch which is annoying. I’ve been doing some 360 flats to get used to the edge transitions (Yes, cambered board) but actually trying riding swith is….strange. I figger that trying tor rent a twin is a non starer so should I buy one? or just keep at it with my current board??
Thinking about a ride yukon or a nitro magnum gullwing if I buy - not sure about the length yet as I don’t want to give up mach v descents.
Any advice, hints, tips to help me put together a gameplan for next season would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Posted: 22 April 2010 07:06 AM
I’m in the same spot as you Mr. Crane… riding switch feels *ucked up. :)
I’m a little lucky and I was able to get a twin for the end of this season… but I did it so I could ride park a little more aggressively. I wouldn’t buy a board exclusively to ride switch.
Honestly it’s all practice, practice, practice. Usually when I start my runs I practice 360 edge transitions and try to ride switch as long as I can before the speed makes me want to flip back. Even though you only have a directional board you can still learn switch riding on it.
Any runs you hit that are really flat are great to practice anything on. I’m starting to get into flatland 180s before I try it off jumps, still feels awkward to cork my board for a spin but again practice will make it better.
In the off-season maybe some longboarding? Cruise the streets of Paris and get used to switch riding even before the snow falls again. :) I would totally get a longboard but I live in the mountains and not many roads allow skateboarding. :(
Posted: 22 April 2010 10:22 AM
Thanks Relaoded,
It’s true that at the end of the day it’s all about practice which = time / cash (my other problem!)
The longboard idea has got me thinking though…
Might try to get some indoor time as I just found a place near the 2 Alps.
Cheers
Posted: 24 April 2010 12:27 PM
I think time on a board riding is going to be the biggest help for learning switch. My switch was pretty pants until I started doing seasons in the Alps… just putting the hours in is the best way.
Failing that, I think a slightly softer board than the fleetwood with a twin shape and a centred stance might help with initiating the turns, but it’s all about commitement after that. If I remember, correctly the Fleetwood is really wide almost 27 cms, perhaps a slightly narrower board say 26.2 ish will help. I definitely think a board with a rockered tip and tail would help with initiating the switch turns.
Initially I found carving switch easier than plain turning because essentially it’s the same movement as carving regular, just looking the other way. Just make sure that whenever your on a shallower gradient you’re riding switch. I read somewhere that Travis Parker rode a directional board with a switch binding setup for an entire season, just to improve his switch powder riding… fortunately that man has the luxury of too much time in the mountains!
Posted: 27 April 2010 11:09 PM
That must be an old story cause I remember reading in TWS something like that in the early 90s… a pro riding switch for a whole season. I would be so pissed I’d flip back in a second. :)
Posted: 27 April 2010 11:13 PM
Always good to have a hardened cynic on the forums!
Yeah it was Travis Parker before he filmed Robot Foods Afterbang back in the early 00s.
Posted: 27 April 2010 11:25 PM
Wow, I just dated myself… lol. Rich, I will never doubt you… for that you can always be sure of!