Help Shortlisting a new ride

Doc Jones

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 1 Joined 2016-02-01

Posted: 01 February 2016 10:31 PM

Hi everyone,

first post. Seeking some advice on a new board. My current ride, a Burton Omen 163 is getting a little raggedy, and I’d like to get something with similar characteristics, but take advantage of newer technology.

A bit about me. I’m in my early 40s. Been snowboarding since i was 16. Averaged at least 1 week on snow a year, since then, but sometimes up to 4 weeks. I’m comfortable in powder, can handle any groomed piste, but wanting to venture more into off peseta soon. I started off on a classic Sims board with hard bindings and mountaineers boots. Progressed a few years later to a burton Jim Rippey (1996, 154 model), though only really used it on groomers and some guided powder off piste.I was never any good at the trick park and getting too old to start now. After the Ripe (the gold one with the blue/red fish), I moved on to the Omen which I’ve been very happy with on the whole.

In terms of what I’m looking for, then something which is on the stiffer side, with plenty of edge grip. It’ll be used probably 80% of the time for carving pistes and the remainder chasing power if lucky enough to find.

I’ve reading up on a few boards that have been suggested to me. Jones Flagship, Burton Custom X. Arbour A Frame and a few others. But as I’ll not have a chance to test these out before I buy thought i’d ask - I’m sure this has been asked before, but seeking more up to date advice on the 2016 models).

At the moment I’m leaning more towards the Custom X with Cartel EST bindings - purely on the basis that I read that the Custom X would be a little more forgiving on narrower runs or when the conditions are choppy, compared to the other two, whilst yielding little in terms of grip and bit (for speed) when the going is good.

Am I doing the right thing?

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Dave.

Search the Forum: