Posted: 25 January 2013 02:57 AM
Hey guys,
Was wondering if i could get the advice of some of the mad shredders on here!
I have been snowboarding twice, about 5 days each time, so im pretty fresh to the sport. I am very comfortable going down green runs and can get down the blues fairly confidently…..blacks scare the s**t outta me though!
Height - 6’5”
Weight - 95kg
Shoe size - 13US
Till i get better i will primarily be doing groomed runs. I did have a crack in the park, only on a box, nailed it a few times and ended up coming off a smashing my shin…10 stiches later, but that wont deter me :) Think i should probably stay off them till i have a bit more confidence and control though.
The hire board i used last time was a Burton (custom X) i think, an old model. I really enjoyed it and felt confident turning rarely fell off unless i was really pushing it.
What i would like to know is, what would you guys recommend as a good setup that will serve me well at an intermediate level also (once i get better of course)? Bindings and boots if you have suggestions for them also.
I have read a few reviews for the Never Summer Raptor X - wide, has anyone on here tried this board out? Do you think it would suit someone at my level?
We are heading to Whistler at the start of next year so id like to buy my gear instead of renting.
Really appreciate any advice, love the site by the way, a great source of info.
Cheers,
Ben
Posted: 25 January 2013 07:28 PM
At your level, I would stay away from the Raptor X. It is an aggressive freeride board more suited for the advanced rider and not so much for someone who is mostly riding greens and blues. If you want to stick with Never Summer, the Legacy or Proto CTX would be a better choice. They’re both great all over the mountain and are definitely boards that you can keep riding as you progress. If you want to venture more into the park the Proto CTX is the call as it is a true twin and will be easier to handle park wise. If you’re mostly going to be riding the mountain and not too worried about park, the Legacy will handle groomers, powder, and tracked out snow a little better. It also comes in bigger sizes that might suit your height/weight better.
As far as bindings go, Burton is always a good choice and Unions have a good reputation as well. Just do a little research and I’m sure you’ll find something that suits you.
When it comes to boots, just get ones that are the most comfortable for you. No one else has your foot, so whatever fits and feels the best is always the right choice.
Posted: 06 February 2013 12:50 PM
I totally agree with the previous post. Given your physics I would recommend to stick with harder flexing material.
Binding wise I totally recommend the Burton Cartel - great binding to shred everything on the mountain and repair parts are available almost everywhere.
Bootwise take whatever suits you, again harder models might do you a favor.
Boardwise you definetly need something wide with >26.0 Waist. I would recommend to take a Hybrid Rocker Board like the Neversummer Proto unless you know where you wanna go. If you expect to progress fast and are into Freestyle the Gnu Riders Choice might be a good investment for the future. Otherwise I would recommend a more forgiving board and possible a directional.