1 of 5

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 03 September 2009 12:44 AM

Hi Snowboard Review users,

We’re super stoked that you peeps are using the site and the forum. It’s been hundreds of hours of work to get together the content for the site and building it, so it’s really rewarding to have users.. thanks! But essentially this is your guys site and even though I’m the all powerful Editor a online publication isn’t anything without readers. So with that in mind, is there anything we can do that you guys think will make the site more useable, more enjoyable to use and more informative. Can we add more info to the guide? Are there any board characteristics that need a logo? What kind of articles are you most interested in reading? Does the board selecta work fine? If you’ve got any queries or ideas please let me know.

Cheers

Rich

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 06 September 2009 07:59 PM

First of all I got to say: I really love this page with all its reviews and informations about the boards. Actually I am wondering why there aren’t way more users at the forums. I do not know about the visitor numbers, though.

I already told you about the board tech (rocker,..) thing so I think I do not need to mention it again here.

Another thing that I noticed some days before is that one can’t comment on written articles like the Organic brand focus. Maybe some of us might want to use that possibility- at least I personally think it would be cool :>

Of course it would be great to have more boards reviewed but I fully understand it is impossible to test all the boards, especially as I think your staff isn’t consisting of more than 3-5 ppl. The reviews might be a few lines longer though, imo!

Other than that, I really enjoy browsing snowboard-review.com because the structure and design of the website is simply great (aka. simple but great), the functionality is top, the quality of the reviews and the articles is ‘super-duper’ compared to some other snowboard sites.

If I do notice anything else disturbing, I will be reporting again =)

Greetings and thanks for this great website!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 06 September 2009 09:17 PM

Yeah the Rocker / Camber explanation is a definite, do you think it’d be a good idea to explain all of the rocker/camber hybrids like the Burton V-Rocker, Rossignol Amptek, Lib Tech C2 banana etc etc, or just stick to the basics?

Comments on articles is a good ide and definitely starts debate, so I’ll sort that.

As far as testing goes, we had 2 full timers out at the board test and 3 peeps contibuting the odd review here and there. Next season we’re going to try and take out 4-5 full timers each doing 6 a day, we can probably get about 180 boards reviewed. THe other problem is that we’re based in England… pretty much the only snowless country on the planet! A lot of the smaller brands we’re featuring are based in North America, I think over the next season we’ll be trying to get a number of contributing reviewers working for the site, checking out these little known brands. This is something that’ll take time to develop, especially as at the minute we’ve not monetized the site.

Thanks for the input Zoryfl!

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar

Posted: 07 September 2009 03:01 PM

Well maybe you could stick to the basics explaining Rocker/Camber with your own words and just add some links at the bottom of the article referring to the particular brands using the hybrids like V-Rocker,..
Explaining every little modification of those systems would of course be great, but I guess that’s a bit of too much work, hehe.

I noticed you already added the comment module to the articles? Now that was fast! =)

Another thing that just came to my mind: Maybe you want to add a sub-forum for ‘snowboard tech’- I wanted to ask if one really notices the difference between a 1° and 2° bevel. For questions like that I think such a sub-forum would be nice to have.
And as snowboarding became high-tech so there might be more and more questions about that.

So far!

edit: I think I just found a typo? From the ‘About’ page:

the skiers decided to enlist the help of the two most die-hard snowboards they knew.

snowboards = snowboarders ?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 07 September 2009 03:20 PM

Only that fastest service on this site! Camber article should be live over the next day or two as well…. lots of late evnings this weekend.. just happy I can still squeeze in the odd drinking binge! Not that I’m condoning the excessive drinking of alcohol on a site that might have young impressionables on… drinking’s really bad.

I’ll ask Dan our site guru about adding the forum sub section… he’s the brains behind the operation. I’m guessing at the moment he’s trying to slim down the number of sections as much as possible, that is until the forum becomes a raging untameable beast that needs putting in order! At the moment I think we’re a bit of a way off that. I may well be eating my words by the time the season kicks off!

Zoryfl what’s your riding background, where do you reside? In the US?

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar

Posted: 07 September 2009 04:31 PM

The faster the better.. =)

Yeah, concerning the new sub section, I already thought so considering the current spartan layout/structure of the board.
But I appreciate that; keep it simple as long as possible, you’re right!

Originally, I’ve been a whole-blood skier for around 15 years (starting from the age of 4). Skiing then started to bore me a bit, so I tried out snowboarding. I loved it from the very beginning, though it was pretty hard for me to keep up with all my skier buddies in the beginning. Anyway, I never owned any snowboard equipment myself- I always borrowed the stuff from a shop or friends but it’s about time to end that now!
Check the about-page of my blog (http://zoryfl.wmw.cc) for some personal information.

edit:
The Board Selecta! does not work for me as I just noticed looking for bugs.
Searching gives me a result saying “Page 1 of 14” at the end of the first page.
Now clicking on the navigation links like “last” or “2” or “3” or whatever, just gives me the following URL after a few clicks:
http://www.snowboard-review.com/snowboard_reviews/board_selecta_results/P75/P325/P50/P50/P25/P25/
As you can see it always attaches “PXX” but does not change to this site.
I do use Firefox with NoScript but I allowed this page so it should not cause any troubles.

Hope this helps, if you need more informations just ask~

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 07 September 2009 10:17 PM

Wow you’re from Germany, your English is perfect!

Checked out your blog, like the indy grab off the kicker pic… good work. Definitely looks like it’s time to get your own gear. You should try and get to the start of the season in Kaunertal. The Glacier opens in mid October and there’s a big test centre… not to mention the biggest party in the alps at that time of year.

http://en.kaunertal-opening.at/event/testcenter.htm

Yeah the pagination on the board selecta isn’t working at the minute. Dan is trying his best to fix it but it’s proving pretty difficult, the problem is because the site’s a custom build cms site, Dan has to learn everything before he can write the code. I’m glad I’m just the editor!

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar

Posted: 08 September 2009 08:04 PM

Hehe, I doubt it’s perfect but I’m glad to hear it, anyway- thanks!

The Kaunertal Opening indeed seems to be fantastic. I checked out the date (16.-18. Oct) but unfortunately it is not the perfect time for me as my course of studies did already begin by then. But still I will badly try to get there, I’m sure it is going to be great. Will you guys be there, as well?

Haha, tell me about it. I struggled a lot with webdesign in various ways and I did not always win. Best wishes to Dan, I’m sure he will get through it.. sooner or later =)

Just another thing that came to my mind today: Do you plan on offering detailed information about bindings here on the site as well?
Because I thought about a little field under all the board reviews, showing what binding might fit best to the currently selected board. As all the boards do already have tags like “park, freeride,..” for the board selecta you could just use these tags for automatically search for fitting bindings provided with the same tags. Of course it would be quite some work to include all the bindings, but maybe some day.. I’m almost sure it would be much appreciated!

Oh and by the way: do you plan on opening an IRC Channel for snowboard-review as well?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 09 September 2009 03:38 PM

Might do bindings in the future, but at the moment it’s just too much work, the other thing is, we tested boards with our own bindings, that way we were able to work out the difference in board feel without the added change in bindings. Bindings can change the feel of a setup massively!

You’ll have to let me know what an IRC channel is… I’m affraid when it comes to computer language I’m completely clueless!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 10 September 2009 10:41 AM

Camber article sorted…. you’ll find it at the end of the Basics section in the snowboard guide.

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar

Posted: 10 September 2009 03:14 PM

Great work on the Camber article, Rich! It’s really nice how comprehensible your articles are written. Descriptions about different types of Hybrids and a decent picture at the end tops the whole thing off, hehe =)
One thing I noticed was that to me it seemed like you described the Reverse Camber as the ultimate variant. Maybe it’s just me but in my opinion there could be more attention drawn to the pro’s of the regular camber.
Otherwise this is definitely a really helpful article!

IRC:
Quote from the wikipedia article:

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing[1]. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels[2], but also allows one-to-one communication via private message[3] as well as chat and data transfers via Direct Client-to-Client[4].

Users can join to a channel using the JOIN command[28], in most clients available as /join #channelname. Messages sent to the joined channels are then relayed to all other users.[26]

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 12 September 2009 04:41 PM

Souns like a good idea… I’ll speak to Dan about the possibility. Have a feeling it’ll be at the back of the pipeline though… lots of other stuff to prioratise.

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:32 AM

Yeah, I mean an IRC Channel is one of the most optional things right now.

The mails we get, when someone replied in a topic we subscribed to, are all coming from dan@starski.com.
It’s all a frivolity but you might want to ‘fix’ that as well.

Oh and: I just found out, clicking on the reviewer “Joe Yonoff” at the Amplid boards, it directed me to a memberslist site with a different design. Probably the standard or old one?

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar

Posted: 20 September 2009 09:19 AM

Good morning!

Erm.. is it possible that one can not access older articles than which are listed in the “recent articles” row at the right menu? I just used the big G for searching for ‘K2 Slayblade review’ and and found an article about it here on your side. No way I can access it from here without the direct link?! Sorry if it is just me, short night.

I also think it would be very nice to have a timestamp including date for the written articles.
The news at the frontpage are being displayed like that “Posted by Rich Ewbank in Blog on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 “. Older News accessed via the right menu, though, do only have “Posted by Tom Ewbank in Blog. “

So far.

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar

Posted: 29 September 2009 06:32 PM

The first link in the new Contract article is wrong:
http://www.snowboard-review.com/blog/article/brand_focus_-_contract_snowboards/www.contractsnowboards.com

I also noticed the “see all articles” link on top on the recent articles menu. This is not related to the point I mentioned in the last post, is it?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 29 September 2009 07:22 PM

Cool sorted the link… I’m so retarded with this internet stuff! I’m just glad English isn’t Zoryfl or you’d notice all the spelling mistakes!

With regards to the ‘See all articles’, Dan’s working on a store for all of the articles like the brand profile articles which have defenitely got a longer life than 2 weeks, so we’re developing a new landing page which stores differents types of article in a different place…. I’m not explaining this well, but essentially you’re right, we’re trying to make all of the old articles accesible.

I had a read of your boot fitting article… reads really well. There are a couple of things I’d mention… heel lift would be a major point. I’ll have another look over it this evening and then see if we can get it on the site… perhaps with some pics.

I’ve asked Dan to sort you out with an admin login, I’ll let you know when it’s sorted.

1 of 5

Search the Forum: