Posted: 12 November 2012 03:19 PM
First thing, I just wanted to mention what a great service you guys have and how well you guys manage it. Clearly a group actively taking part and passionate. Great work!
I’m now looking to get my first snowboard (i’m a complete beginner) and I narrowed it down to 3 Rossignol boards: The Taipan 2012, Taipan 2013 or Templar 2013.
I have been looking around a long time for something that ‘has it all’ without being pricey or being an ‘extreme’ board. When I saw Rossi’s Amtek design I immediately knew I found what I was looking for - it has a great mix of rocker + stability. They also have varying degrees of the mix between rocker/camber/rocker construction.
A little about me, I’m a complete beginner. I snowboarded 2 days last year. However, in several hours I was linking turns. Was able to keep stable going faster then ‘powerslide’ to slow down.. then went off the groomed run into 1 foot of snow. Somehow I picked it up fast, maybe because I used to skateboard a tone and I’m an advanced skier but not exactly sure how much that contributed.
I’m 195lbs, 5’10, boots 44, I’m pretty athletic.. and 35yrs old.
I won’t be going on the halfpipe and probably won’t be jibbing. However, I get bored of doing the same thing each day so I’ll probably be doing a little of everything else: fast carving on runs, some powder etc. I’m currently in Europe and expect to be doing fair amount of boarding in the alps.
I’m looking for an all-mountain board (probably 158cm) that is fairly universal. Something flexible to give me a change to learn fast but not too soft so that I don;t outgrow it in 1 season.
As mentioned my options are 3 Rossignol boards: The Taipan 2012, Taipan 2013 or Templar 2013.
My first question: I read in some placed that the Templar is for beginners to intermediate and Taipan Intermediate to Advanced, then in others the opposite. Even the flex amount isn’t being reported consistently for the Taipan. However, I get the sense that the Taipan is a little more suited toward begginers than the Templar.
Generally, the Taipan is described as little softer and forgiving and a board slightly more geared toward the beginner than the Templar. HOWEVER, the odd thing if you compare snowboard-review.com’s description of the 2 boards you have the Templar more suited for halfpipe and park riding and the Taipan more suited for freeride and big mountain. Based on the specs of these two boards wouldn’t it be the opposite?
Secondly and probably most importantly because I’m leaning towards the Taipan: I have an option to buy the 2011/2012 Taipan for 65% of the cost of the new Taipan. Is there a huge difference between this season’s and last season’s Taipan??
Finally how much would you recommend the 2011/2012 Taipan versus the 2013 Templar and would they compare?
There just aren’t many reviews of the Taipan 2013 out yet for me to get a confident feeling of improvements.
Many thanks in advance!
Posted: 16 November 2012 10:30 AM
Hey Whistler604,
We’re a bit undermaned and behind time right now when it comes to getting 12/13 boards on the site, but thanks for the compliments.
I think your confusion regarding the Taipan is probably from our tester Ali’s review. He’s an out-and-out park rider. When he got on the Taipan it was far more all-mountain than he was expecting so he tried to make that clear in his explanation. Rossi markets it as a freestyle option, but really it does a fine job over the whole mountain. I’ve spent a season on the Taipan’s big brother the Angus and I can vouch for the versatility of the shape. On pow, piste and in the park it works, although I would say that for icy conditions there are better boards.
My advice would be to opt for the Templar if you can afford the extra investment. I think the more directional shape and the 5 bump magnetraction will be worth the extra expense as it will give you more all-mountain capability. Size wise I’d opt for the 159mW.
Rich