Looking to get back into it. Need advice on a new board and bindings.

woodyak

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2012-10-13

Posted: 13 October 2012 12:44 AM

So I’ve been boarding for over 20 years now off and on. I live in the Boston area so my riding has been based on local conditions. So if we get hit with early snow I tend to get up to the mountains and ride a lot. If we don’t I just stay home and go mountain biking. This year will be different. I have a rental house in Burke, VT that I plan on making good use of. To further stoke me up I’m going to retire my 8 year old Burton Rippey and get something new. I should also mention I picked up a used splitty over the summer for a steal.

I would call myself a solid intermediate rider. Most of my experience has been on icy groomers but over the past few years I’ve grown to love the POW in the trees and to get real bored with the groomers. I’ve also been working on the moguls mostly just to get the skill down. I have a skateboard background so I do like hitting some of the smaller hits in the parks. I see most of my riding being at Burke Mountain and Jay. But I’m sure I’ll get over to Killington, Cannon, Mt. Sunapee as well. So I’m leaning toward one of the newer All Mountain boards. After doing some digging online I’m real keen on the Gnu Eco Genetics board w/a set of Burton Cartel Bindings. But I’m not real keen on paying full retail when there are other previous year options that are just as good or better for less. What would you guys recommend? I hold onto my boards so I’ll spend the money if I have to.

Thanks in advance!

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 15 October 2012 09:18 AM

Hey there,

the GNU Eco Genetics is rated with flex level 7 (out of 10) so it’s a really stiff board!
I’m not sure this is what you are looking for when you want to be able to hit smaller jumps and play around a bit.
It’s sure an awesome board for carving groomers and even pow but for the park it might just be too stiff if your legs aren’t crazy strong.

Keep in mind that the Burton bindings use the EST system. And if I’m right you’ll need an adapter plate for riding it with a non-EST board.
Have a look at Union or Drake or even Salomon bindings if you aren’t all too keen on getting a Cartel, yet.

Cheers Tobi

woodyak

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2012-10-13

Posted: 15 October 2012 11:14 AM

Thanks for the response. I’ve done some further digging and I’m now leaning towards the NS Proto CT. It seems to have all the qualities I’m looking for.

As far as the bindings go Burton has the Reflex serious that will work on any board. http://www.burton.com/mens-snowboard-bindings/mens-bindings,default,sc.html . That being said I’m open to your other suggestions and will check them out before I make any moves.

What really surprises me is that there seems to be no good deals out there, unless you need XL bindings or a 165 board.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 15 October 2012 11:19 AM

As I just mentioned in a different thread: The Proto CT sure is an awesome board.

Regarding the deals: you’re definitely looking at the wrong time. The new season is just about to start, everyone is putting their new gear out and old deals are mostly sold out which is why you can’t find any.
So it’s either wait a couple of months for the first deals on 12/13 gear or just pay full price and enjoy the gear this season already.. cause.. you know.. “it’s not all about the money”.

Cheers Tobi

woodyak

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2012-10-13

Posted: 15 October 2012 11:24 AM

Yeah, I hear you. What prompted my search in the 1st place was pics of Killington with their 1st snow. Not sure if I can wait that long. I’m also concerned that my size sells out.

So I’m about 5’5” and 155-160 lbs. with plain clothes on. I’m thinking of going for for the 152 Proto. What do you think?

woodyak

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2012-10-13

Posted: 15 October 2012 11:47 AM

I should also mention I’m also looking at the Arbor Coda. Both boards seem pretty solid plus the Coda is cheaper and looks better.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 15 October 2012 11:48 AM

Here’s an excerpt of their weight/size chart. Going after that, you could go for the 154 without any trouble. But that’s up to you..

Proto CT 152 110-160
Proto CT 154 120-170

Search the Forum: