Goggle compatibility and polarized lenses

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 21 March 2010 11:16 AM

Hi folks!
I am currently looking for a good deal on a snowboard goggle.
Searching around for quality and style I always ended up finding myself on the oakley website, again. (see my notices at the end for some explanation)
I am not really into hyped stuff but the Crowbar/A-Frame looks really nice to me.

So here are my 2 questions:
First of all a legendary yes/no question: Does anyone know if the Crowbar/A-Frame fits to a Giro G9 helmet (size M) ?

Second of all a more detailed question: I am unsure whether I should get a polarized lense or not. The advantages are abvious, as well as the disadvantages. But does anything outweigh the other? And let’s put it this way: it’s about the money as well..
Maybe I should add that I already got a regular-lense-not-so-good Alpina goggle which I could use on other than bluebird days.
Still - Fire Iridium or H.I. Amber polarized? Tell me what you think!


To come back to what I said in the beginning: I had a look at the Electric and Dragon Goggles as well as Giro’s. I don’t actually know if it’s true but to me it seemed as if the dragon goggles do have a quite huge frame.
That’s why I really liked the thin frame of the Electric EG2. But I read that it is not compatible to many helmets and does not fit on the noses quite too good.
And I just didn’t really like the look of the Giro goggles, hehe.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 21 March 2010 03:29 PM

To be honest Goggles are mostly about aesthetics. Venting is important, and if you’re wearing a lid, then helmet compatibility is important too. I’ve currently got Dragon DX goggles, mainy because I like the frame style and the colourways.. I’m pretty vain when it comes down to snowboard gear! Regarding lenses My Electric lenses were a bit more durable, the chrome on my DX lens is rubbing off a little which is really frustrating, but they still look sick. However, the colours I get through my Dragon goggles are a million times better than the Electrics.

At the moment, it’s all about big goggles in the magazines, the bigger the frame the better, but I’m happy with a medium/large frame. Oh and I also have 3 different lenses for my goggles. A rose lens for low light as it helps put definition on the snow. A chrome for slightly cloudy days when there’s quite a bit of light about, and a gold chrome lens for super sunny days. I’d make sure you go for a goggle with a spare lens, so a chrome and a rose or yellow lens.

Between the A-Frame and the Crowbar, my vote would be the Crowbar. It’s designed to be helmet compatible and is a newer shape…. the A-Frame is looking quite retro these days:-) I had a look at the Giro goggles at ISPO, they’re looking pretty tight, not at all what I was expecting.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 21 March 2010 03:52 PM

The decision betwee the Crowbar and A-Frame isn’t really a question of style for me, it’s just that the A-Frame was designed having smaller faces in mind, whereas the Crowbar is for mid/large ones. At least that’s what I read..

I just can’t seem to find a shop which does actually have some of the above named goggles so I could try them on. Gotta look further as it seems~

I am surely going for exchangeable glasses, I just don’t know which ones to get, yet.
So you’ve never tried any polarized lenses?

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 22 March 2010 03:01 AM

STAY AWAY FROM POLARIZED LENS!!!

You cannot see ice with those sons of bitches!!!  Great for definition however dangerous for snowboarding.

I cannot answer for what fits your helmet but I can comment on the Electric EG2’s as I own one.  They are probably one of the biggest frames on the market and give you tremendous lateral viewing angles as well is perpendicular ones.  You can easily wear glass under them however I did this and my glasses would always fog so I ditched the specs.  They are very light for being so big and changing lens is a breeze.

Rich as always is spot on for having multiple lens.  I have a chrome for sunny and a blue for everything else.  I don’t night ride or else I’d have a low light one too.

I took my helmet into the shop when I bought my goggles, that’s the only way for sure you know they’ll work together.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 22 March 2010 04:44 PM

Hehe, glad we talked about this!
I will just go ahead and believe you as my wallet is definitely on your side :)
The Crowbar with a H.I. Amber polarized lense is around 240€. For a goggle.. yeah right, snowboard biz does not know any economic crisis!

It’s just too hard to find a shop which does acually have these goggles in store. Many of them are sold out already =\
Anyway, in case I manage to find a shop where I can try them on, I will probably give Rich a shout to buy and send them to me from out of the UK. Crazy price differences again, jeez..

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 22 March 2010 11:36 PM

Haha Tobi you cheeky begger!

Well your hunch is correct, you can get Oakley Crowbars a lot, lot cheaper in the UK.

http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/goggles/Oakley-Goggles/Oakley-Goggles-Crowbar-Danny-Kass-Signature-Military-Rain/12988.htm

That’s 82 Euros! 1/3rd of the price you found!

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 23 March 2010 12:10 AM

I actually don’t really feel bad for being ‘cheeky’ as you call it- damn I have to study for 6 years, not earning a cent, just paying. So yeah- as cheap as possible :)

The Crowbar jet black with amber lense costs ~155€ in the shop you posted. 90€ less than in Germany.
I found the Crowbar jet blck fire iridium for ~105€ here. Man this looks mean!

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 23 March 2010 04:41 AM

Prices for Oakley’s are expensive out here.  I paid $140 CDN for my EG2’s and another $45 for replacement lens.  $101 Euro’s I just calculated, no deal here either. :(

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 March 2010 03:35 PM

Yeah they look evil… very nice!

But bear in mind that black lenses have the worst light transmission… you’ll need bluebird to use that lens.

If I were you I’d have a look at your local store and find out which lens you feel is going to work best…. or alternatively (because I’ve just found it) you can use the Oakley site ... this page is perfect! Oakley Lens Light Transmission data

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 25 March 2010 04:36 PM

The Oakley I’m having a crush on does not have a black lens!
The “jet black” is just the color of the frame, the lens is “fire iridium”. It’s great for sunny days and okay for shady hours. That’s why I picked that lense.. and the fact that it looks sooooo dope!

What would be ‘the best’ lens for shady/greybird days?

Search the Forum: