Buying first boots

ejsaidu

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2009-08-01

Posted: 20 August 2012 07:01 AM

Hi guys

Any tips or guidance for me as I’m looking to purchase my first pair of snowboard boots. I’m not looking to sped a fortune as I’ll only be using them 2-3 weeks each season.

I’ve been using rental boots thus far (as I got them free) but want some comfort!

Currently looking at the 32 Lashed….

Ta!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 20 August 2012 08:32 AM

For all-mountain riding my personal opinion is that the 32 Lashed are a little bit too soft and lightweight… that said if you’ve tried them on and they were comfy then I guess it’s all good. I also find that the thermofit liners that 32 use leave a little bit too much space if you have narrow heels or ankles which can result in heel lift. I swear by Vans and the High Standard is a pretty good place to start . The Burton Moto is also an very popular boot with first timers. Salomon also make good boots, the Dialogue and Savage are supportive all-mountain boots that won’t break the bank and will last you. ALso check out the Northwave Freedom, that’s a popular starter boot. Basically I’d try on as many soft to medium stiffness boots as possible and choose the boot that gives you the tightest fit without rubbing or creating any pressure points… the boots will pack-out over time so a snug fit to start with is best.If you have a doubt about a boot fit, leave it and try a different boot. I’d opt for a flex between 3 and 6 / 10…. 4-5 being the optimum.

ejsaidu

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2009-08-01

Posted: 20 August 2012 11:38 AM

Cheers Rich

I have fairly wide feet and therefore was thinking of the 32s. I’ll be doing mostly groomed pistes but occasionally wandering off!

The last couple of rental pairs I have had have hurt my feet as I am between sizes (8.5) and the Chill Factore have either 8 or 9 (either too cramped or slightly too loose).

Cheers for the suggestions and I will hit TSA once they get their new stock in. At present they are very limited.

Ta!

ejsaidu

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2009-08-01

Posted: 21 August 2012 07:03 PM

been to TSA and been trying some out. considering either the Burton Rulers or Ambush (both 11/12).

The Ambush feel better at the moment but I’m conscious that the Rulers (whilst snug at the moment) may prove to fit better once they are worn in….

Gonna try some Hails tomorrow too…

Any of these a complete no-go for a beginner?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 22 August 2012 06:35 AM

No those boots are all suitable as a first boot. The Rulers probably feel a bit snugger because they’re a firmer boot.

Just go for the boot that has feels the most comfortable… after a week of riding you can expect a boot to back-out by just under a half size. I’m touching the ends of my Vans Liners at the start of the season. 5 days in and they’re usually perfect. I wouldn’t advise getting boots where your toes touch the ends but you get the idea.

ejsaidu

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2009-08-01

Posted: 22 August 2012 06:45 AM

Cheers Rich

Much appreciated!

Search the Forum: