Posted: 13 March 2012 07:53 PM
Hello forum friends,
For the 2012/2013 season I’m upgrading to all new equipment: board , boots, bindings. I’m moving my 10 year old Palmer Honeycomb with Drake Podium bindings to early season duty here in Southern California until the base gets big. That’s when I plan to bust out my Nidecker Ultralight with my Northwave Domain boots. I need help with binding choices. I’m intrigued by the NOW binding but I’m not ready to drop $300 on a binding until I hear more reviews by riders. I like the 2013 Radar X but the thin ankle strap worries me. It seems they sacrificed comfort for weight. Rich, I know a fan of the super sports, will they be a good match for my UL. I’m hoping for a binding that’s responsive yet all day comfortable. At 41 years old you start thinking of comfort while still being able to kick ass too.
I’m open to any binding suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Posted: 13 March 2012 08:25 PM
I think the Supersports are just a bit too heavy for putting on lightweight boards. They’re a comfy binding but the metal chasis is a bit weighty for a board that’s designed to shave off all the weight possible. I’m riding Amplid Balance 2.0 bindings at the minute and really liking them… very light and nice comfy straps and there is plety of stiffness in the highbacl for freeriding and pipe. Of course, Burton and Union are the masters of creating lightweight bindings with plenty of comfort. The Burton Diode or the Union MC Metafuse or SL will probably be up your street.
Posted: 13 March 2012 09:57 PM
Thanks Rich, I checked the Amplid website and the Balance 2.0 looks great. Is it available in the USA? I tried but website didn’t have anything for sale. Is that binding for next year? Thanks for showing me new products, I’ve never heard of Amplid but their products certainly look well made.
Also, have you ridden the NOW bindings yet and what does your gut tell you about them. Are they as good as the hype? Thanks again. Mike LB CA.
Posted: 13 March 2012 10:59 PM
Hey Mike, Yeah Amplid make some great stuff, but they’re under the radar of most riders. Peter Bauer who’s a co-founder of the brand rode pro for Burton in the late 80s and early 90s, worked in R&D for the big B for 16 years and then started Amplid. They’re an underground word of mouth brand at the minute but they make some gread product so I’m sure that’ll change. They’re also much bigger in Europe than in the States, but their head office is in the Bavarian Alps so that’s to be expected. Yeah I checked the shopatron site for you and you’re right, doesn’t even look like they stock the bindings in the US. You should drop them an email if you’re interested in the bindings, they’re always super helpful when I hit them up about demo gear or buying stuff. The Matt black rubarised finish looks very stealth.
Posted: 13 March 2012 11:01 PM
Oh yeah and NOW bindings…. forgot to answer that question. Yes I should be testing Now bindings very soon… well as soon as I get sent a pair, which is on the cards. I think it’s going to be a binding that needs to be ridden to know if you like it or not as the feeling is going to be completely unique. One thing id for sure, from picking them up… damn they are light!
Posted: 14 March 2012 09:22 PM
I have tested the Giggi Ruff Pro modell from UNION: I was a bit sceptic beacuse I tought it would be to soft but at the end that´s a binding I could buy…for my all mountain freestyle board.
I also like some of K2´s upper range bindings.
I have never tried the supersport but it´s a kind off replacement for Czaar - right? And that is a nice but heavy binding. I will put that one on my stiff directional freeride board.
Posted: 14 March 2012 09:46 PM
Thanks MAGNEPANGE for your advice. I emailed UNION about the Contact Pro which I believe is Gigi’s binding. They told me to look at the Atlas or the Force for my riding style and weight. I mainly shred groomers and I weigh 240lbs. They said those are super light yet strong.
Rich turned me on to the Amplid Balance C 2.0 binding. It looks awesome and I’m currently trying to buy a set in the U.S.
Posted: 15 March 2012 08:36 AM
What about NOW bindings. Never heard about them? And Amplid. Something from Peter Bauer is most likely to be good. But has any one tested them?
Posted: 15 March 2012 08:51 AM
Now bindings test coming soon.
Been riding Amplid Balance C2.0s all season. Comfy, responsive, lightweight and really easy to get into… which has never bothered me before but it’s quite convenient when you can strap in as you’re sliding off a chairlift.
Posted: 15 March 2012 03:35 PM
NOW bindings are supposed to be the hot binding for 2013. Rich has seen them and says they are super light. The footbed tilts which is supposed to help with response. I don’t see it being that big of a difference. I need to hear more from real riders before I spend $300 US for them. I messaged Amplid about getting some Balance bindings. They look awesome and I like the fact few people here will have them. Cheers!
Posted: 23 March 2012 05:02 PM
Hi Rich,
I just opened the box for my new Amplid Balance 2.0 bindings. These things are awesome! Thank you for introducing me to Amplid. The bindings look killer and it’s obvious they are very well made. Thanks again.
Posted: 25 March 2012 08:36 PM
No worries, stoked you like them… the matt rubbarised coating look rad I think.