Size for a park board?

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 03 March 2010 05:23 AM

General questions guys, when sizing your park boards how short do you go?  My all-mountain is 158…  I’m progressing a lot faster then I thought this season and want to try rails and spin tricks.  I’m 5’11” and 160 lbs as a reference.  Thanks gents!

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 03 March 2010 10:54 AM

Hey Reloaded,

Have a look at the following page on the site, this should give you a good idea of board sizes. I ride a 157 and I’m just under 5’ 9”..........to be honest it’s more about the characteristics of the board. This season I’ve been riding a K2 Believer which has progressed my park riding beyond my wildest expectations. A slightly softer longitudinal and lateral flex pattern, coupled with lots of pop at low speeds and a zero camber profile (which makes rails a lot easier) has really made a world of difference.

Anyway, here’s the link:

http://www.snowboard-review.com/snowboard_guide/basics/

Hope it helps,

Tom

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 03 March 2010 07:44 PM

Thanks Tom for the reply…  seems to be conflicting info (what’s new) out on the web to sizing a board.  Some go by length like the picture in the guide and some go by weight to determine length.

Currently I’m looking at a K2 WWW rocker at 155 as my park board but because I so want to progress spinning I was wondering if it’s even better to go shorter.

And I totally here you on the characteristics of the board to determine it’s best abilities…  I was going to just get a short board for the park regardless of it’s DNA but now it might be worth the extra dough to find one specifically for the park.

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 04 March 2010 01:25 PM

Hey Reloaded,

You could probably get away with a 155 but obviously the WWW is pretty soft and it’s rockered. Having a shorter deck will make a difference when you’re throwing spins off of little features but the added stability, strength and pop you’ll get from a slightly longer deck with a different type of profile will make spinning off of 5m+ kickers much easier. End of the day spinning is all about leaving the jump on a strong, stable platform (edge). If you’re keen on a rockered deck and want a shorter deck with a bit more strength I’d have a look at something like the Volkl Squad or if you’re not fussed about rocker have a look at the Burton Easy Livin’. If you want something a little longer then have a look at the Rossi Angus 57 or K2 Darkstar or K2 Believer…......the good thing about the Believer is that it’s really light and the weight of a board will make a lot of difference to how it spins.

Tom

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 06 March 2010 08:29 PM

Thanks again Tom…  mid March I’ll be getting the deck, I’ll let you know what it is.

Search the Forum: