Posted: 15 December 2011 04:48 AM
Anyone know where I can find Volkl’s Fastec Prime ALU bindings in the good old US of A?
Posted: 15 December 2011 09:46 AM
Volkl’s Fastec bindings is manufactures by SP United. SP and GNU use exactly the same binding so if you can’t find the Volkl you want, you will definitely find the GNU Mutant, GNU Choice, GNU Park and GNU Agro fit waht you’re looking for.
Posted: 15 December 2011 10:58 PM
Thank you for the quick response.
Has anyone tried these bindings, I’ve found very few reviews. One or two like them and most would even consider trying them.
My thought is that the toe strap will probably break due to the funny shape of the plastic, but who knows.
Posted: 15 December 2011 11:40 PM
Very common out in Austria. A lot of really good local riders who I go freeriding with use them and really rate them. I honestly believe it’s the best step-in solution on the market.
I think if they were getting lots of broken straps returned they’d change them pretty quickly.
Posted: 12 January 2012 04:51 AM
Got a pair of Gnu Agros.
First impressions are that they are not as robust as Flow’s NXT line (I’ve been using a pair of NXT-FSEs since the end of last season).
The plastic locking mechanism for the highback is already starting to wear. I haven’t used them yet…..?! Not a good sign. Metal on plastic is never a good idea. The flow bindings use a much higher grade (harder) plastic for this.
The toe strap is completely useless. I modded Burton’s getagrip cap strap straps so that Burton’s strap can be used in it’s place.
The highback isn’t nearly as supportive as the flow’s are. Again soft plastic vs aluminum and hard plastic. That and the odd cable pivot points. I assume they did this so that they look less like flow bindings.
I like the fit and adjustability of the bindings. The large size fit my 9.5 Salomon Malamutes perfectly… with the Burton toe strap.
The highback and ankle strap step-in features are great (I wish they were made solely of metal not plastic and metal).
I plan on using just one of the bindings for my front foot (regular). No matter what adjustments I made to the flows I couldn’t attain comfort/feeling in my front foot. The back foot never has an issue.
I’ll post some feedback once I’ve had these out on the slopes for a day.
Posted: 24 February 2012 07:00 PM
I love these Fastec-system bindings. This is my second season on the Gnu Mutant, which is the high-end one without the Agro highback. These bindings have been totally ROCK SOLID for me so far, with ZERO adjustments and ZERO problems since first setting them up. Easy to fold down and re-setup for taking my board on a plane in a bag.
I rode Flows for two or three years. Then switched to straps after trying a demo pair which improved my control and riding instantly. But I hated the strap-in time on short local hills and when riding with skier friends.
I got all excited when I saw the pre-season ads and videos for the Fastecs, and bought them as soon as they were available. Set them up per the videos and have not adjusted a thing since. They ride and feel the same as my old Burton C60’s.
Mervin Manufacturing makes them, and they’re sold under several different brands besides Gnu and Volkl.