Spam or something like it

Mr Crane

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-03-15

Posted: 21 November 2011 06:51 PM

Hi Just thought I’d mention some odd e-mail activity recently.

I started getting fake comment notification e-mails for old posts a few weeks back, Then I noticed
that you guys had been spammed by some “wedding Dress” fools. I had 4 notifications today and realized that
mixed in with the comment text were… Wedding Dress messages.

Thought I’d let you know.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 21 November 2011 07:00 PM

Oh damn, sorry that you got affected by that. Yeah about 3 weeks ago we suddenly got spammed really heavily. I’d come back to posted items after a couple of hours and there would be 10-12 more spam messages. In the end we changed the Captcha on all of the pages. It’s really annoying because there’s no way of reporting spammers… I wanted to sign them up to a sketchy mailing list… but I don’t want that popping-up in my recent web history;) The stupid thing is that we don’t allow back links anyway so their posts weren’t achieving anything. It pisses me off that people pay these cretins to spam people’s sites to help their sites.

THanks for the heads up though… much appreciated.

Rich

Dan Morgan

Administrator
Dan Morgan Avatar
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 39 Joined 2009-02-17

Posted: 21 November 2011 07:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Yep - we did have a spike in such nefarious activity a few weeks back and we swiftly put a few things in place to stop it (most of it was automated). An unfortunate side effect is that you’ll instantly be updated with the spam updates if you checked the box to do so when posting your comment, but we hope it was a one off and didn’t cause you too much hassle (or you like the wedding dress!).

Mr Crane

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 21 Joined 2010-03-15

Posted: 21 November 2011 07:43 PM

These guys really are short of some essential minerals. But other than the deep sense of fear I get if I even see the
words “We**ing Dress” Not a problem.

shreddin_the_midwest

Piste Cruiser
shreddin_the_midwest Avatar
RankRank
Total Posts: 24 Joined 2011-04-20

Posted: 23 November 2011 06:11 AM

Just have to say I also noticed this a few weeks ago..Kudos to you guys for fixing it so quickly.
It’s a real shame that people try to spam just to attract attention.  It’s like a little whiny kid who is a royal pain in the butt just to get attention lol.

Mr. Crane,
I have developed the very same deep fear at the mention of…you know…We**ing Dress…

Search the Forum: