Posted: 17 November 2011 01:32 PM
Hi, just wanting a bit of advice about getting the right size jib board. I live in Cornwall, the far southwest of the UK where there are very few snowboarding shops so I can’t really as ‘in store’ for advice.
I’ve been riding for a year and was wanting to get into jibbing and rails, as thats mainly whats on offer in the UK snowdomes. I’m 5’6 and just under 135lbs (about 10 stone), so not a big guy, I ride a 154 for all mountain stuff and was wanting to know if I went for a 146/147 if it would be too small and maybe a 151 would be better as I would ideally like to be able to take it to the park on a mountain as well?
Thanks
James.
Posted: 18 November 2011 11:05 PM
Hey there,
I think you should go for something 151-ish. Of course for jibbing in a dome you might be good with a 146 but whenever you want to take it out on the mountain you’ll probably be happy about every extra cm you got.
I don’t think you’ll have a problem jibbing around with a 151 either so yeah, I’d probably go for that.
Do you need any suggestions on park boards as well or just the length?
Cheers Tobi
Posted: 21 November 2011 11:25 AM
Thanks for the advice Tobi,
I think I’ll go for a 151, after comparing a couple of boards at the weekend I think a 146 wouldn’t give me enough tip/tail for butters etc. It was just the length I was wanting advice on, I have my eyes on a cheap board to learn with then I’ll spend the extra cash on something nice when I’m at a good enough level.
cheers again.
Posted: 21 November 2011 09:08 PM
Tip and Tail aren’t really the issue with butters, from my experience, since you’re pretty much turning on your bolts, and you’re only talking about 1-2cm’s on either end in any case in the board sizes you’re talking about.
I dropped from a 159 to a 154 for an all round jib board, but once I got out of indoor slopes and on to a mountain, I felt I could have done with a little bit more. Now I have my 154 to lap parks on and to generally muck about with, and a 162 that I’ll be using for all mountain/freeride stuff.