Beginner - Rossignol One Magtek or K2 Raygun?

sharke

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 7 Joined 2011-03-07

Posted: 07 March 2011 09:53 AM

Hi, great site guys!  It would be great to get some input on a choice for my first board:

I took up snowboarding this year - my local mountain is Tahoe and I’ve been there about 6 days so far.
I expect I’ll be a 10-12 day a year rider from now on :)

I’m having fun on the mountain and not too interested in the park, with the possible exception of the half pipe.

6’1” 170lbs, 10.5 US shoes.  After a bunch of reading I’m leaning towards a hybrid camber board.
I had settled on the Rossignol One Magtek 159, but now I’m wondering if it might be too advanced for me?
Would it be too fast? Would the Magne-traction work against me by leading to more edge catches?

Then I read good things about the K2 Raygun as a beginner board that riders won’t outgrow too easily, so now I’m wondering if it would be a better choice.  It’s about $100 cheaper right now as well, but I’m interested in the best board for my skill level and style, regardless of price.

Thanks in advance!

MagnePange

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 108 Joined 2010-11-30

Posted: 07 March 2011 10:20 PM

I think that the One will fight your ambition to ride well and develop. It´s a fast and competent board. But from half a season riding it I can say that I don´t think its for beginners.

If you choose this board anyway I don´t think MagneTracktion will work against you. In the pipe MagneTracktion is great.

I find my board good at speed on piste. Pow and jumps. In the pipe maybe a lighter board would be better.  The best use of the One is riding technical tree lines and pillow. I think. Having that said: that´s the kind of riding I love the most and are best at doing compared to other riders. So I am biased.

The specific K2 you are looking at -  I don´t know about it.  In general I think K2 boards are great.

Best of luck.

/ MP

sharke

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 08 March 2011 04:49 AM

Thanks a bunch MP. That’s very helpful. I read your earlier reviews of the Rossignol and that was one reason I got interested in the board. However that’s the challenge for a beginner reading reviews - they tend to be (understandably) from the perspective of more advanced riders.

It was this article that got me thinking of something more like the raygun:
http://www.snowboard-review.com/blog/article/snowboard_guide_-_choosing_a_beginners_snowboard/

What I wasn’t sure of is what makes higher end boards harder for beginners. It sound like the answer is that they can be stiffer / faster / require more attention to control? And I guess the hybrid camber/rocker designs can help a bit, the ride is still more challenging?

So my rationale at this point for starting with the k2 raygun is that it should last me a couple of seasons at least since I will only ride a week or two a year. If I start pushing the limits of the raygun by then, I’ll know enough to try out some demos. Meanwhile the raygun sounds like a solid choice for learning and cruising the mountain.

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 08 March 2011 06:33 AM

I will give the nod to the Raygun.  It has a softer flex which will help you improve your riding, especially at riding a week or two a year…  you want something fun and will make you look forward to those days.

A more advanced board is typically something that is stiffer, long and has faster base materials.  Most beginners ride at slower speeds so having a board that is hard to turn and wants to go really fast isn’t the best at that level.  Advanced riders love those types of boards because they are tackling more aggressive terrain and higher speeds.

sharke

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 08 March 2011 07:11 AM

Ah yes, that makes sense!  I think it took me a while to notice some of the better beginner boards because they seem to share some characteristics with freestyle / park boards, and I’m not that interested in park. But I guess those same characteristics can make for a predictable and fun ride at moderate speeds on the mountain.

Besides the raygun, I also saw a lot of recommendations for the GNU carbon credit.  But that seems to be even more park oriented, being a true rocker.  I’m hoping the “flat camber” of the raygun will be a nice compromise, and as you said, something fun for those days when I make it up to the mountain.  Thanks for your input!

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 08 March 2011 08:19 AM

The Carbon Credit is slightly more geared towards park as it’s a true twin.  It’s not a bad board by any means but the Raygun favours your type of riding more in my opinion.

MagnePange

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 108 Joined 2010-11-30

Posted: 08 March 2011 09:42 AM

You are right on spot there. Stiff boards are made for bigger terrain and higher speeds. As a intermediate rider I can really feel the diffrence.

I tried a friends ICON Aasgaard. Probably one of the stiffest meanest boards you can think off. That board does not come alive at al untill you reach like 50-60 km / h. That´s just a board that only wants AK / Chamonix full speed straight line couloir out to 20 meter dropps and stuff. In short: a lot fatter terrain than I am going to ride. Ever. On a ordinary red piste this board is boring as h*ll.

If you have a stiff board and approach a jump at low speed and hit some uneven snow you will have a harder time to correct your approach. For example. The same goes for laying a stiff board on edge and make it bend to shoot you out of the turn. Or make an butter 180. Or ollie.

I think that Rossis One ends up at least 2 levels below the ICON Aasgaard in terms of stiffnes. But yes. I think that my board needs a dose of speed and steep terrain to come alive. Even though I can trow it around for smaller jibbs and stuff it´s not what it´s best at.

When you say have fun on the mountain I gues that you think of your riding in the next coming seasons like this: go fast on blue / red runs. Ollie over stuff. Take some pow turns on the side of the piste. And half pipe riding also. That´s good. Half pipe is fun. But also hard. You will find it quite a rush first time you dropp in. If you have to much of a stiff board al of these situations will be harder to controll.

sharke

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 08 March 2011 05:33 PM

Ah yes that sounds like a great plan for having fun on the mountain over the next couple of seasons! Looks like I should “pull the trigger” on the Raygun ;-p Thanks guys!

sharke

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 08 March 2011 05:37 PM

By the way, I’m thinking of pairing the Raygun with Burton Custom bindings. Does that sound like a good match for the board and my level and style?

netarc

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-03-07

Posted: 09 March 2011 12:10 AM

I’m considering the raygun as well, but was thinking of Burton Cartel bindings, which I tried/loved with a Burton demo board a few weeks back. Would they work well on the K2 Raygun?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 09 March 2011 12:14 AM

Both Customs and Cartel bindings would be agood fit for the board. The Cartels might be slight overkill but if you liked the fit and you’ve got the cash they certainly won’t impact your riding negatively. Just make sure you avoid ICS bindings, these are designed specifically for Burton boards with the channel mounting system.

netarc

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-03-07

Posted: 09 March 2011 05:07 AM

ended up going with the K2 Raygun + Burton Misson bindings - thanks!

sharke

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 10 March 2011 05:34 AM

I’m looking at the Mission bindings now too for my Raygun 159. Boots are 10.5 US ThirtyTwo Lashed.

Burton claims their Medium bindings will fit boots up to size 11 but some are saying to get their large bindings for anything above 10. So I’m now wondering if I should get M or L bindings?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 10 March 2011 09:03 AM

Buy large Mission Bindings, mediums will be too small. You’ll have all of the straps at maximum extension and your toes will be well of the gas pedals. Definitely large!

sharke

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 10 March 2011 08:23 PM

Ok I ordered the large Missions. Thanks Rich!

Search the Forum: