Not sure what my next board should be… Jones Flagship, Mtn Twin, Bataleon Jam, Capita Black Death, K2 Slayblade???

Meatball707

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 25 Joined 2010-11-23

Posted: 23 November 2010 10:17 AM

I’ve been riding for about 4 seasons now, and know the type of riding I like to do, but am unsure of what board will work best for my riding style. I have bigger feet, but run Salamon F20s to help out. So here’s my stats, I ride in California, a lot of Southern California, but a lot of Northern California as well. I never hit rails, if there are some smaller jumps I’ll hit those, and will ocassionally go into the pipe and just air out a bit, no spins except on hip jumps, will do some 180s etc. I’m riding a Bataleon Goliath at this time, I like it a lot, but when ever it’s hardpacked and I’m building up speed it gets super wishy washy, not cool at all. I love riding tree runs when there’s some pow and normally hit natural features whenever possible, and love hauling ass. I’ve also ridden a few other boards, Capita MHT, GNU Rider’s Choice MTX, T-Rice MTX. Out of all those the GNU riders Choice was my favorite, just didn’t like how grippy the mag was on all the libs/gnus. So at this point, I’m just trying to find something stable at high speeds, great for landings, grips good but not catchy, and will accomadate what I said above about my riding style:)

My list of boards right now, are as follows, please let me know what you think would work best:
Capita Black Death Wide
Jones Flagship Wide
Bataleon Jam Wide
K2 Slayblade Wide
???
I would’ve had a YES board in here, but they need to make a mw or wide board:(

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 November 2010 07:15 PM

I think it’s the tripple base profile that’s giving you that sketchy feeling on hard pack, so I’d discount the Jam.

If you are looking at a YES but need a little extra width, then the Capita Black sSnowboard of Death is worth looking at, as is the Rossignol One although you might not be a massive fan of the Mag edges. Then there is the Apo BC Powder Rocker 159 which carves like a dream and will happily launch you out of the pipe and rail out big carves.  And of course there is the Rome Anthem which is cambered between the feet and rockered at the tips. I think the Jones Flagship is probably a little too freeride orientated.

Looking at the other form of rocker camber hybrid you could try the Never Summer SL which is damp and powerful in a carve, or if you want to get even more aggressive the Raptor X or Heritage X are definitely worth a look. THen there’s the new Lib Tech lando qhich although it has mag edges has a rocker/camber profile which might dtract from the immense grip of MTX a little.

I’m guessing you still like camber?

Meatball707

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 25 Joined 2010-11-23

Posted: 23 November 2010 07:49 PM

Hi Rich!
Thanks for the informative reply:) I still do like camber:) I did see that Lando Board, looked sweet, but I’m a bit too big for the wide version, unless I overlooked some sizes. I’m 6’2” and 185lbs, also should add I ride single diamonds at places like Mammoth and doubles at smaller Southern California resorts, even if that matters,LOL.  The aggressive mag only bothered me when setting up for a jump or for flat base riding, so maybe the Rossi One would be a good pick. 
Thanks again Rich, you ROCK!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 24 November 2010 06:06 PM

THat’s a distinct possibility, I find magentraction in camber boards can be a touch more sketchy than standard cambered boards. I have a 158 Rossi JDub from 06/07 it’s a great board but my Angus can feel a little less catchy on a flat base and it’s much softer. I think the Amptek profile deals with that catchiness.

Regarding the Lando, the with on the 160 is almost the same as the 157… they just call the 157 wide to warn of those with smaller feet. As long as your boots are no bigger than a US 11 it’d be fine.

Search the Forum: