Forum Manual?

Panzerman

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-11-20

Posted: 20 November 2010 11:03 AM

Hey guys, here’s my situation.. After renting for so many times, I finally decided that I needed a board for this season. I’m a beginner, and I’m looking for a not so expensive board that can basically go wherever I want. I picked up this ‘09 Forum Manual at a nice price at this snow expo. Trouble is, from what I’ve been reading, it seems the Manual is exclusively a jibber’s board, and I wanted more of an all mountain setup. I probably wont venture into the park for a while. I know the manual has lots of flexibility and will make turning a bit easier, but I’m worried that it wont be able to hold an edge very well when carving. I feel that I’ve kind of rushed into buying something I should have researched a bit more. I have another three weeks to return the board.

My Question is, should I return it and seek out another board?

Also, I’m concerned about the snowboard’s length. Its a 153. I’m 5’5 and weigh about 135 lbs.

I’ve had my eye on the Artec Gabe Taylor, as I’ve seen it on sale for a similar price.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 20 November 2010 03:02 PM

Hey Panzerman,
you’re right, the Manual is definitely a park board for jibbing down the mountain.
The Gabe Taylor surely is a better fit for riding mainly piste and laying down carves. You might also have a look at the Arbor Formula.

Concerning size, I’m 180 and riding a 159 for piste riding so as you are only around 165, 153 might be a bit of a hand full.. I’d probably look for a 148-150..

Cheers, Tobi

buckhillrider

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 21 November 2010 03:41 AM

I am not trying to say that Toby here is wrong, because i may be less experienced but my brother actually rides the Manual. It really isn’t THAT flexible. As far as a “jibbing” board goes it is a bit stiff actually. Nonetheless, its a great board. My brother rode it in a HUGE pow day at Vail and was totally tearin it up! It can handle all-mountain, although i might agree there are better boards for that purpose. Finally, I agree that a 153 seems somewhat long for someone of your size. Try a smaller board next time, you might find more success.

Best of luck!

Panzerman

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-11-20

Posted: 25 November 2010 02:37 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

I decided to return the manual, and am currently scoping out a new board. The Arbor formula looks really nice, and I’ve been checking out the 5150 dealer and Rossignal Scope. Looking forward to carving it up in the pow. I’ll definitely look for something that suits my size better.

Search the Forum: