board advice for a gift

max

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-11-09

Posted: 09 November 2010 09:18 PM

I am looking to get my boyfriend a snowboard for Christmas. Last season was his first year riding so he is new to boarding.  I am looking to get him a board that he can learn with, and will stay with him as he advances.  His height is 6’2”, weighs 190, with size 12 feet. He would need a 159w - 163w. I am interested in the RideDH2, and a store rep recommended the libtech skatebanana.  Are these boards too advanced for his skill level? Which board would you recommend?

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 15 November 2010 05:22 PM

Hey there max,
sorry for the late reply. Generally, he LibT Skatebanana wouldn’t be the worst choice!
Can you give us some more information like what terrain he will ride most and such?
Cheers, Tobi

max

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-11-09

Posted: 16 November 2010 05:44 PM

Hey np on the late reply
He would mostly be doing freeride on groomers. the snow conditions are normally icy to wet and heavy. Also looking for a board that would be fairly fogiving on the knees, seeing as he’s had some knee problems in the past.  If you have advice on some bindings that would work as well that would be great.
Thanks tobi

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 17 November 2010 10:18 PM

As for the knees, the K2 Harshmellow-dampening is said to work pretty good. But don’t expect too much- snowboarding will always stress your knees..
The Arbor Formula might be worth giving a shot just as well as the Salomon Ace.

For bindings, make sure to check out our binding buying guide. Lots of information in there!

Let me know what you think, Cheers Tobi

Search the Forum: