In need of some snowboard advice

thinkerthought

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 11 Joined 2010-11-07

Posted: 07 November 2010 06:07 AM

So the Australian dollar is doing well, I’ve run into a decent amount of money, and i have several months before i begin travelling and hitting the slopes. I’m thinking it’s about time to upgrade and get a new board (currently i have a ride decade, few years old) and I’m wondering what the best one to go for would be. since my funds aren’t limited I’m thinking of getting something that will last at least a couple years, and be an all-mountain board. something that can handle a bit of park, tree runs and back country, and still get some good speed and control on groomers. I’m just starting to get into jibbing, but tree runs/back country is my speciality.

I’ve been looking at boards with reverse camber and hybrids and they seem intriguing. i’m an intermediate boarder, height 175cm, weight 65-70kg (somewhere around there) and boots are size 10 (US).

I’ve been looking at the Burton sherlock and the rome graft rocker. both have soft flex and look nice, but besides reviews on the internet i haven’t heard much else about them and how suitable they are for my needs. if anyone has tried either of these boards and be able to give a first-hand review that would be appreciated. and if anyone knows whether the sherlock is only compatibly with burton bindings? as new bindings would start to get a bit out of range for me.

Site is useful as hell, and lay-out is simple. Hoping someone can give me a hand.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 12 November 2010 03:29 PM

Hi thinkerthought,

It’s always nice to have a bit of wedge saved up for a new board! Same the Poind Sterling isn’t doing so well, It’s costing me a fortune to live in Euro land!

Firstly, sorry about the delay. It’s the start of the season and Tobi and tom are doing a grand job helping peeps but I’m out in Austria with restricted access to internet so I’m not pulling my weight.

I’m hopefully going to do a video review on the Sherlock in the next couple of weeks, so if you can wait until then I should be able to give some good feedback. To answer your second question; yes the Sherlock uses Burton’s patented channel binding system, so unless you can source conversion plates for your bindings you’ll need Burton ICS bindings.

Check out the site in a few week, hopefully I’ll have the Sherlock reviewed by then.

Rich

thinkerthought

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 11 Joined 2010-11-07

Posted: 15 November 2010 03:27 PM

sure thing mate, cheers for the reply. i’ll be looking forward to the video, it seems to have gotten a fair amount of mixed reviews (50% saying it’s amazing, 50% saying it’s not quite worth the hype but still good). i’m after a nice looking, all mountain board for mostly freeride that can still be good for tricks in the bush and some jib on park days, and wondering how well the Sherlock would work for this.

Search the Forum: