Buying a first board

JT

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-11-03

Posted: 03 November 2010 11:10 PM

Hi there,

I’m planning to buy my first board and I have been reading lots of reviews.  Congrats on a very useful and clearly laid out site!

I’d say I am somewhere between beginner and intermediate.  I’m looking for an all mountain board - I spend about 80% of my time on piste or mucking around on the edges, 20% off piste and might visit the park once or twice in a trip.

My stats are 175cms tall, 65kgs and size 9 boots.

I’d be very grateful for any advice and suggestions.  At the minute I’m looking at the following boards:

Rossignol One Magtek
K2 Raygun
Never Summer Circuit
Nidecker Legacy
Yes Typo

I’m most keen on the Rossi, though I’m concerned it might be a bit of a handful for someone at my level.  I don’t mind taking a while to get used to it, but if you think it’s too much of a step up I’d be very grateful for other suggestions!  Also, would the 156 be the best bet in terms of size?

Thanks,

John

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 07 November 2010 06:04 PM

Hey John,

Thanks for the props on the site, it’s always nice to hear that we’re helping people.

I think buying the One Mag for your first board might be a bit of a bold move…....although this years is a lot easier to ride than last years it’s still a board for strong intermediates to advanced riders. Although you may focus on piste and off-piste at the moment I can almost guarantee that you’ll start spending a bit more time in the park as you progress…...it’ll be nice to have a slightly softer board for this. I’ve listed a few boards below that should help, with regards to size I’d look at anything between 153 and 157, depending on the stiffness of the board.

Ride Manic
Yes Typo
Burton Process
K2 Darkstar
Rossignol Taipan
Never Summer Circuit
NDK Advanced

Hope this helps,

Tom

JT

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-11-03

Posted: 08 November 2010 12:33 AM

Cheers Tom,

Very helpful advice.  If you reckon the Rossi One Magtek is a bit of a handful it’s probably a good thing I have been resisting the temptation of paying £370 for a 2010 Nidecker Megalight! 

I came across the Taipan after I posted first time and it does look very nice.  I’m pretty much set on a 156cm Taipan, probably with a set of Union DLX or Contact bindings.  I already have a pair of Salomon Dialogue boots, bought after a crappy pair of hire boots destroyed one of my toenails in Les Arcs last winter!

The other board I’d welcome your thoughts on is the Bataleon Omni - the Triple Base Tech looks v interesting.  I guess it might also be a bit advanced though?

Thanks,

John

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 08 November 2010 12:55 AM

Hey John,

I personally prefer boards without TBT but I know an awful lot of people that wouldn’t buy any brand but Bataleon.

I’d say the best move would be to buy a board with TBT once you’re a little more experienced and confident in the park, because that’s when it really comes into its own…......it works really well when spinning off kickers and sliding rails.

Tom

Search the Forum: