K2 decks

nathan

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-10-28

Posted: 28 October 2010 07:10 AM

I thought I was set on picking up a Slayblade, but after reading the review, I’m not so sure it is right for me.

I am an intermediate rider.  I freeride the whole mountain, but still do laps in the park, no backcountry and no pipe though.  Problem is I am 6’3’ 200lbs with size 12’s, so any board I get needs to be 160+ and wide and not too soft.  I am okay with a little stiffer board because I am a bigger rider and I can muscle it.  I just don’t want anything washy or sketchy at speeds.  That’s why I’m leaning toward zero camber.

I like the K2 boards.  I’ve been looking at the flatline models.  I would like a Believer, but they don’t make them big enough.  I thought I wanted a Slayblade, but it sounds like it may be a too advanced for my abilities.  I am thinking about a Darkstar, but the latest review doesn’t make it sound too appealing.  I am looking for a board most like the Believer, but in the 163W range.

K2 Slayblade
K2 Darkstar
Ride DH2
Endeavor Live

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sidebewb

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2010-10-20

Posted: 28 October 2010 11:39 AM

Being pretty much the exact same stats - and it seems the same ability, I was told (by this very forum in fact) that the K2 Parkstar was pretty much the business…. jib rocker profile - not sure if thats what you are looking for.

Went into the store, and tried the 160W with my boots and bindings - and it all seemed to fit no worries.

nathan

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 28 October 2010 03:44 PM

I appreciate the feedback.  I am considering the Parkstar, but am not totally sold on a rocker board holding up at speed.  I think I would prefer an all mountain killer that can hold it’s own in the park, rather than a flexy park deck that holds up all over the mountain.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 October 2010 03:54 PM

Sounds to me like the Turbo Dream 164W would suit you to a tee.

THis board works in the park and charges pretty hard too. With the nose and tail rockered up you don’t need to worry about them catching when you are straight-lining and if the snow gets choppy it’s plain sailing as the board will skip along the top of it and the harshmellow dampening with deal with the vibrations which can make charging that stuff feel unstable.

The Slayblade is a bit more advance and needs a bit more aggression to get the most out of it. You will probably find for progressing, the Turbo Dream offers enough stability without making popping of jumps and doing butters to much work.

Rich

nathan

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 28 October 2010 04:41 PM

Thanks Rich,

I have been searching all over the internet for a site with some legit snowboards reviews and some actual context behind the reviews.  The site is great and I appreciate your willingness to compare boards from different vendors.

I am a little confused though, about the board shapes.  I hadn’t considered the turbo dream because I was under the impression that a shape like the turbo dream (all terrain rocker, or Ride’s LowPro, which I think is a similar shape) would be less stable at speed compared to the Parkstars (JibRocker, which is pretty much flat, like Ride’s ProRize on the DH2) or flatline?

I seem to be missinformed.  How does a board with more rocker hold up better at speed than a flatter deck, which is closer to a camber board?

I am just confused.  The Turbo Dream you recommended sounds like a perfect board for me, but I am just hung up on this whole rocker washout thing.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 October 2010 05:54 PM

THanks for the compliments on the site! Yeah we try and expose as many brands as possible on the site, it’s expensive for smaller brands to get their brand message and hardware out there so when we started the site we wanted to make sure all the brands were in the same boat. If we can help the little brands shift a few decks the site is a success!

Hey don’t appologise for getting confused there are so many different profile stories on the market this year that it’s becoming ridiculously confusing. 5 years ago it was what flex and what shape, now the shape is 3D… it’s crazy confusing for the consumer.

There isn’t a huge amount of difference between All Terrain rocker and Jib rocker, they both use a flat section between the bindings and rockered tips, but the Jib rocker flat section extends a little beyond the bindings so that more of the board is in contact for slides. Stiff cambered boards are usually stable if a little catchy, but I rode the Turbo Drem pretty damn fast and it handled well, and I rode last years that didn’t have the Harshmellow dampening. I also hit some big jumps and did some hard carving and I didn’t experience any washout, the carbon torsion forks and carbon/glass laminates make the TD pretty lively.

If you are coming from camber and used to working the flex of the board hard there is a possibility that a standard rockered board won’t meet your demands. If you are still worried about washout it might be an idea to look at boards like the Lib Tech Phoenix Lando or the Never Summer Legacy which have camber in the nose and tail for pop out of turns and to help with tail heavy landings.

Rich

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 29 October 2010 07:08 AM

I skimmed this post so forgive me if my info isn’t relevant.

The K2 All Terrain Rocker is a gentler rocker compared to the Jib Rocker so in terms of speed and stability that will make it better all over the mountain…  I have a Parkstar and it kills all over the mountain but I wouldn’t feel super comfortable railing it into double black diamond terrain (although I might try, lol).

nathan

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 31 October 2010 12:03 AM

Thanks guys, you’ve been a big help.

You’ve sold me on the K2 Turbo Dream…even over the Never Summer Legacy.  I have been really hung up on whether the All Terrain Rocker would hold up at speed.  When I really break it down, I’m not riding pipe, or charging 30 foot kickers, and I try not to spend too much time on the corduroy, so I don’t think I need to be too worried about giving up my camber board.  As long as it holds up at speed in the pow, trees, and crud, and a little park, it will do the trick.

Thanks a lot, fellas.

K2 Turbo Dream 164W

jpb6snowboard

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 1 Joined 2010-11-10

Posted: 10 November 2010 05:12 AM

I was all set to buy an ‘11 SlayBlade 159W after demoing one this spring and absolutely loving it.  After reading this post (and many others), now I am second guessing my own 3hr test drive.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to try the Turbo Dream.  My stats, progression level and interests are very similar to Nathan’s.  195lbs, 6.0’, 11.5 boot, all mountain, mostly riding on the edges of groomed trails and in the glades.  I enjoy hitting the powder when available (I live in upstate NY), and also like weaving through bumps when it isn’t too icy.  I occasionally venture into the park, but avoid big features as I lack the skill & confidence to avoid injury.

I have been riding an older cambered 154cm/254mm Volkl Conquer with (classic) Burton F/S bindings.  I know that the board is too small for me, but the price was right (free) and I was able to progress enough to decide to buy a good board.

Now I am leaning toward the ‘11 Turbo Dream 160W with K2 Formula bindings.  My Burton boots are in still great shape and are very comfortable.

Any additional thoughts or advice on the TurboDream vs SlayBlade decision?

Thanks in advance.

Search the Forum: