Union Contacts, PRO or NO?

chayo234

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 14 Joined 2010-04-05

Posted: 18 October 2010 10:27 PM

I noticed UNION has the Contact Pro, compared to its cheaper cousin the Contacts, how much of a difference do you believe there is?  I was seeing the youtube videos and noticed it was just designed different for the Pro rider, is it worth the extra cash to get the pro?

Thanks

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 18 October 2010 10:56 PM

Oh yeah the Contact Pro… that’s Gigi’s new binding. I thought it was going to be the Gigi Ruff pro.

Ok so the Contact baseplate is the reduced footprint baseplate designed to minimise the flatspots in a rockered board when a board is flexed longitudinally. The alternative being the Stage II base plate which Union use on the Force and Data binding ranges.

So the Contract Pro isn’t that different to the standard Contact except for the obvious aesthetics and the weight saving measures like a CNC milled heel cup and crazy spider web style highback, it’s also a touch stiffer flexing. If you intend to kick down your high backs when you get onto the chairlift and throw your board into the back of your car, I would stick with the standard Contacts.

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 18 October 2010 11:01 PM

The Contact Pro is much lighter and damper under-under foot…...it is more focused on freeride performance. Nevertheless, the normal Contact is a bomb-proof binding with an all-mountain focus that will be slightly more appropriate if you spend a lot of time in the park.

So, is it worth the extra money?.....Well it depends on what kind of riding you enjoy.

Tom

chayo234

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 14 Joined 2010-04-05

Posted: 19 October 2010 01:30 AM

ahh sweet, that definitely helped me out :)

I actually dig the regular Contacts since you have a variety, yellow/black just doesn’t match my board this year haha. 

Thanks for the quick replies!

Search the Forum: