Buying a NS proto hd or hdx for my son

Capt Darren

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 1 Joined 2014-12-28

Posted: 28 December 2014 09:46 PM

My son is 5’6” and about 165 lbs. he currently rides a beginner board which is a free ride board. He wants a board that is all mountain but can also freestyle. His current board is too long and too stiff for what he wants. The current board hits approx 3/4” above the tip of his nose and is measured at 156plus. He wears a size 9.5 boot.
We chose the NS Proto HD or HDX as the board that will perform well in what he wants to do.

My question is what size?? He wants to do a 152. The size charts put him over for the HD but under the HDX when looking at the 152. The 152 and 154 list boot size 5-7 on HD until you get to the 156. The 156 is too long and he does not want it.

So it would appear that we should get the HDX in 152 but numerous reviews I read all say the HDX is for size 11 or bigger, show people 5’10” or better riding 154s, even quite a few say go small do to expanded side cuts.

So, I am turning to those that ride and not just make charts for the stores for imput.

Do I buy the 152 in HD or HDX?? He wants to ride the groomers with his mother and I and since it is not difficult for him, play with some small jumps, presses, etc. Then start into the parks for some fun.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Search the Forum: