Park/Jib Board and maybe another?

compact

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2012-04-04

Posted: 04 April 2012 02:20 PM

I currently rid the Rome Postermania 156, which is delaming….

I ride the whole mtn, from racing the skiers down the piste, to riding the pow and cliff drops, to pipe, kickers, rails and jib park.

So looking in the sales for maybe 2 boards.

Park/Jib
Burton Whammy Bar
StepChild Powerder Sucks
Forum Young Blood Chilly Dog

All Mtn (plus kickers)
Forum Destroyer
Burton Custom Flying V

So what do you think?

Tyler

Park Monkey
Tyler Avatar
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 41 Joined 2012-02-28

Posted: 04 April 2012 03:00 PM

Personally I wouldn’t even look at the Jib/Park boards if your doing that much outside of the park.
The Forum Destroyer would suit you out of the park better then the other boards you have put up. But it also maybe too much of a park focused board.
With its traditional camber, I think its your best choice out of the others, but I would look around for a little more All Mtn Oriented board.

How often are you off the piste? compared to hitting kicker/Rails? And Bombing hills.

compact

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 04 April 2012 04:18 PM

Thanks for the reply (which I can’t actually read now, that is a poor system…)

I’m looking at two boards in the sales, as they are pretty good price this year.

Hence splitting between park/jib and all MTN
I was aiming for a flexi poppy rail, job board to escape the Postermania stiffness (which it really isn’t), but then for all MTN still have a board that is fun enough when the pow isn’t perfect (quite a lot of the time).

On my last hol to the 3 valleys:
in total over 6 days.
2 days on the mtn
4 days half mtn, half park.

So for my next trip, with 2 boards I would probably split my week to some days when I am in the park 80% time. then other days 100% all mtn.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 04 April 2012 04:33 PM

I agree with Tyler, you don’t really need two boards. I’ve got an all-mountain board and a jib board and the jib board only gets ridden when it’s soft and I intend to stay in the park all day. I’d go with a directional twin shape and a medium flex and you’ll have everything you need to ride park when it’s good or the rest of the mountain without having to switch-up your bindings. The other thing is… when the snow is bullet proof, you won’t want to ride a jib board on park kickers… maybe I’m projecting because I hate riding hard kickers on a soft board.

compact

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 04 April 2012 04:59 PM

Cheers

My Postermania, really did the trick
http://www.snowboard-review.com/snowboard_reviews/review/postermania/

“Manufacturer’s Description:
Press a box. Float pow in either direction. Spin with control. Tap a stump. Surf. Throw a carve. Butter. The Postermania combines a Reverse-Free camber profile with a Carbon V stringer that adds snap off your tail edge, and balanced, more powerful ollies. The result is the poster child of boards that have a habit of dropping hits of fun all over the hill. “

Just being tempted by the sales into getting two boards.
But I suppose binding changing would be a faff

Tyler

Park Monkey
Tyler Avatar
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 41 Joined 2012-02-28

Posted: 05 April 2012 02:03 AM

Getting two boards is something I find unnecessary. I right now have the Bataleon Disaster, which to say the least, is a noodly jib board, and I love it!
I focus all my energy into park, thats why I never worry about All Mtn boards. But there is no reason to get 2 boards.  Truly all you need to do is find a nice all mtn board that focuses on your main boarding terrain.
Say your 60% in the park 40% else where, You would wanna find a medium-soft board for jibbing, but something that wont do terrible on pow days.

EggFriedRice

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2012-04-10

Posted: 11 April 2012 11:13 PM

@compact i’m of the same mind as you.  I recently bought a 2011 Whammy Bar & 2012 EST Malavitas for a stupidly cheap price in the sales.  In my humble opinion and limited experience ive found boards that are great for all mountain are not as much fun on jibs/rails as a board made for this (obvious i know but someone is bound to call me out if i dont say it first).  I’m really looking forward to giving it a thrashing in Val d’isere next weekend on a cheeky end of season weekend away! :)

As for a mountain board, I did a week on a 2011 Custom Flying V at the start of the season and its fantastic for all mountain.  Only thing that let it down for me was on really hardpack the edge hold isnt brilliant but i’m probably going to go for it, it was sooo great in powder! (maybe im going to go for the Restricted version as its got more camber in the profile which should improve the edge hold on hard pistes, fingers crossed), also my Malavitas are suitable for Custom boards so no need to buy more bindings.

Channel bindings are so quick and easy to change and adjust i wont mind.  Having ridden enough different boards now to know that the right board in the right place makes a discernable difference to enjoyment, especially as i like to ride all the ways available.

Not a Member? Register Here

Search the Forum:

Connect: