2. Board - Freestyle/Park Mainly

Philippon

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2012-03-19

Posted: 19 March 2012 01:34 PM

Hi (:

I’m looking to buy my second board. I have been snowboarding for 5 years - one week a year - plus this whole season. I just started freestyling this season, but i’m mainly going to be in the park next season too.

I need a board that perfoms well on big kickers and on and rails boxes. So not too stiff, but stiff enough to the big kickers.

This board is going to be my only board, so it should be a freestyle board, but i’m also going to use it to everything else (on the piste, in the powder etc.)

I prefer Burton and Rome. But i have also heard good things about Never Summer.

I’m also going to buy new bindings and boots, so if you got any suggestions i’m all ears.

I hope you can help me choose the perfect board (:

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 19 March 2012 08:36 PM

Few questions. What is:

Your boot size?
Skill level?
Weight?
Height?
Budget?

Philippon

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 22 March 2012 09:54 PM

Oh, sorry I thought that wasn’t important. I was more interested in the specific board, than the size of it. But it would actually help me a lot too (:

Boot Size: US: 8,5 / Europe: 42

Skill Level: Well, it’s a freestyle board i’m looking for, so I guess its my skill level in the park. I’m quite new, but’ i’ll say close to intermediate.

Weight: 75-80 kg

Height: 180 cm

Budget: Not that important. But it’s important that the board isn’t too “technical” for me. I spoke with a guy down at our local boardshop, and he said that the board i looked at were too technical for me (I have only been free styling this season). I looked at the “Rome MudRocker”.

I hope that helped (:

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 26 March 2012 09:43 AM

Yeah the Mod Rocker isn’t a bad choice. When you say big kickers, what size tables are we talking? Small (2-6m tables), Medium (7-12m), Big (13-18m), Monsterous (18m+).

If your new to freestyling and you want to play around on small and medium kickers, I will recommend boards that rip on this size of jump and also work really nicely on jibs and rails. If you want to take your riding to bigger jumps and transitions I’ll suggest some stiffer boards.

Foot size, ability and weight are important for choosing a board with the right flex and waist width… and also making sure that there is a board length that will suit you.

Philippon

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 26 March 2012 01:14 PM

I think the kickers have a table around 14m at most.. I don’t think i’m going any bigger yet..

I have looked at det Rome Artifact. But i’m afraid its too buttery?  Do you have any suggestions?

I have looked at “Rome Artifact” and “Never Summer Proto”

And i was recommended the “Burton Proces” and a “StepChild” board, but i’m afraid a can’t remember the name..

I need a board that has a good stiff enough to the kickers, but flexible enough to jibbing.. But i’m mostly going to use it on kickers..

But as i said. I’m not a pro, so i guess the board shouldn’t be a “pro board”?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 27 March 2012 03:35 PM

Yeah I think the Rome artifact might be a little too soft, although the camber version is much less of a noodle than the Artifact Rocker, which I’d avoid unless you really love butter soft boards.

For a board to ride mid size jumps and help you progress jibbing, you’re spoilt for choice. The K2 Parkstar is a fun and progressive board and if you’re not digging the reverse camber then check out the K2 Lifelike… then there’s the Never Summer Evo which would probably make a better and cheaper choice than the Proto CT. There are tons to choose from. My suggestion would be to go the “SNowboard Selecta” on this site and select the following options.

Riding Terrain: Rails & Park
Board Shape: Twin
Cost: Medium

There will be loads to look through. Choose the ones you like the look of and I’ll offer some opinions.

Rich

Philippon

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 31 March 2012 05:33 PM

Thanks Rich! I really appreciate it.

I’ve been looking around an I’ve found alot of boards! Actually so many that I’m totally lost. There are alot of boards that sounds great.

My Top 3:
1. Never Summer Evo
2. Never Summer Proto CT
3. Rome Mod Rocker

If I can get one of these boards for a decent price, I would absolutely buy it! But all 3 boards are quite difficult to get a hold of in Europe, and they are quite expensive here too.
As I said before I’ve found alot of different boards, so many that I got no idea what I should look for. I sorted the ones I’ve looked at by brand, but I just want the Top 3 or Top 5 overall.

From Nitro, I’ve been looking at the Nitro Team Gullwing. I like it because it’s an easy to spin snowboard. But in the review you wrote that the slopestyle credentials were a little let-down by a firmer torsional stiffness?

From K2 I looked at the K2 Lifelike, the K2 Parkstar and the K2 Fastplan. The K2 Lifelike is zero cambered and more All Mountain than the others. I’m not sure that it’s as good as the two others in the park. The Parkstar sounds great, but you haven’t reviewed it, so I don’t know which of the Parkstar and the Fastplan is best for freestyling in the park.

Both the Mod and the Agent from Rome sounds like great freestyle boards, but what is best for freestyling - Rome Agent or Rome Agent Rocker and Rome Mod or Rome Mod Rocker?
Rome Postermania and Rome Artifact also sounds great, but there isn’t alot of information on the Postermania, and will the Artifact also be too buttery (like the Artifact Rocker)?

From Burton I’ve looked at the Burton Process and the Burton Process Flying V. But again I’m not sure if the best way to go is camber or hybrid profile.Either of the boards have been reviewed, so I’m not sure how it will perform. (I’m mostly considering this because the guys at the local boardshop recommended it) Then there is the Burton Aftermath. It haven’t been reviewed either, but it sounds like a great freestyle snowboard too.

From Lib Tech there’s Lib Tech Skate Banana, Lib Tech Attack Banana and Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro. I’m not sure which one would be best for me. I guess that the Skate Banana is the freestyle board of these three? But sometime the halfway (Attack Banana) can be good (This is goind to be my only board after all). And seen what Travis Rice is using his board to, I guess that his Pro Model is a great park board too.

From Stepchild there’s alot to choose from, and it doesn’t sound like there’s that big of a difference between them. The ones I found was Stepchild FTW, Stepchild JP Walker, Stepchild Simon Chamberlain, Stepchild Joe Sexton, Stepchild Powder Sucks, Stepchild Latchkey and Stepchild Dirtbag.

I don’t know much about Ride, but in the review of the Ride Crush, I read that it was Aly Macs favorite freestyle board of this season.

I know this is alot, I hope you can help me out (:

- Jonas Philippon

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 01 April 2012 03:59 PM

Oh lord what have I done? Sooo many boards.

I reviewed the Parkstar a couple of years back. The review should still be on the site somewhere and Ben Malloy reviewed it last year… trust me it hasn’t changed, or if it has the changes are negligable. Between the Fastplant and the Parkstar, I think the Fastplant is a little bit firmer flexing. I liked both, but I really liked the Fastplant… a bit livelier and the flex was more to my liking. The Lifelike is a bit firmer than both and the zero camber makes it a little bit more suited to those that ride jumps and halfpipe rather than jumps and jibs… it’s a bit more all-mountain than the Parkstar and Fastplant.

The Nitro Team Gullwing is a good kicker board. It’s got plenty of pop and the thinned down tapered tips make the board very easy to spin… a lot of boards manufactured in the Elan factory use this technology. In my personal opinion I found the torsional flex (twisting motion) flex a bit firm for smaller rails… which is one of the reasons why I liked it for everything else. Boards with soft torsional flexes allow easier butters, quick adjustments to run-ins and in the case of doing nose slides for example allow you to keep one foot flat on the rail while the other is torqued very slightly… not that you’s do that intentionally but it means it’s more forgiving if your weight isn’t perfect.

The Rome Mod Rocker is a good freestyle board that will adapt well to riding in pow as well. The fact that it’s only rockered from outside the inserts makes it a little bit more suitable for all mountain riding than fully rockered bindings… you’ll feel the extra stability. I don’t think there’s any need to go for the cambered version unless you particularly like the feeling of camber or you are riding big features.

Between the three Lib boards, you’ve got it right. The Banana is a soft board for gooning about. The T-Rice is a an all-mountain charger for park, pipe, pow and piste and the Attack banana is a halfway house.

You’re on the right lines, but you’ve got to make the choice :)

Rich

Philippon

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 10 April 2012 02:59 PM

haha’ i’m so sorry. I just went crazy that day.

I have narrowed it down to:

- Never Summer Evo

- Lib Tech Attack Banana

- Lib Tech Skate Banana

I’m still interested in the Never Summer Proto CT (but it seems way too expensive) and the Rome Mod Rocker (which I can’t seem to find anywhere in europe)

My two final questions are: Will the Never Summer Evo be stiff enough for the kickers with a table around 14m? And will the Skate Banana be best for the same size kickers, or will it be too soft?

Philippon

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 15 April 2012 12:50 AM

Thanks for you help..

I decided to go with my first impression, so I just ordered the Never Summer Evo. I’m looking really forward to trying it out!

Not a Member? Register Here

Search the Forum:

Connect: