Help Buying First Board

Nine-toe

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2012-03-05

Posted: 05 March 2012 09:31 AM

I’m a new rider, been out a few times, and am interested in buying a board.  Want to stick to the groomed trails - won’t be doing the park.  Mostly North East.  6’4’’ 210 pounds with 13.5 foot.  Wondering what the best board / set up is? Plan to go about 10 times per year (with yearly trip out west).  Want a decent quality board thats also good to learn on.

Thanks!

snowkat701

Local Resort Ripper
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 62 Joined 2011-10-31

Posted: 06 March 2012 01:25 PM

You’re definitely going to need a wide board due to your foot size - on a normal width board you’re going to end up with toe & heel drag as you progress your riding.
Length-wise, you need to be looking at 160cm +, up to 164 depending on the weight range of the boards.
You could check out the following:
Burton Bullet 164W, or the Burton Custom Flying V 162W (less of a beginner board, but if you’re going regularly you’ll probably find this will aid your progression over a longer period of time)
Ride Agenda 161W, or the Antic 162W as the step up
K2 Raygun Wide 164, or the step up Lifelike 163W
Since you ride the NE, it might also be worth considering somethin with Magnetraction to help grip in icy conditions, so maybe also check out the Lib Tech Skate Banana 159W (largest size I think), but you might be better with the Gnu Carbon Credit 162W - Gnu use the same Magnetraction and rocker profile as Lib Tech as they’re made by the same manufacturer.

Don’t want to overload you with too many options!

Nine-toe

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2012-03-05

Posted: 11 March 2012 05:40 AM

Thanks! This is very helpful.  I was doing some warm weather travel, but am ready to get back at it.  Think I will check out the GNU.  Any thoughts on the K2 Brigade 163W? Does a directional twin have any advantages?

snowkat701

Local Resort Ripper
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 62 Joined 2011-10-31

Posted: 12 March 2012 02:54 PM

The Brigade is a different rocker profile to the Raygun, and would be fine for you to learn on. Other than a couple of small points, the specs are fairly similar. The Raygun might be a bit lighter. I think the Brigade is a bit cheaper as well.
I don’t think you would notice a huge amount of difference between a twin and a directional twin at this stage of your riding. All it means is that on a twin board, the flex is exactly the same in the tip and tail, so when you ride switch you get the exact same performance, and the measurements of the nose width and tail width will be identical. A directional twin is optimised for riding forwards, but won’t pose any problems if you want to ride switch at a later point. The nose and tail measurements here will also be the same.
A pure directional board will have a flex pattern optimised for riding forwards, probably have a set back stance and maybe even a taper (wider nose than tail). I would avoid this type of board for learning.

Not a Member? Register Here

Search the Forum:

Connect: