Posted: 01 October 2009 01:20 PM
Oh wow, this really seems to be worth a thought or.. 150bucks, whatever.
Do you maybe also know how it is with the duties from the UK to here? I’m totally new on this sector, I do not have a clue at all. If you don’t have informations about that, I will probably just call the german “Zoll” and ask them about it.. Mhm, maybe there aren’t even any duties as it’s from EU to EU. But what about other taxes?
What about the guarantee, by the way. If I buy the deck in the UK, can I also send it to K2 from Germany? Probably not through a store, so I would have to send it to them directly, paying the shipment, I guess?
edit: Okay, did some research myself. Not duties but 15% VAT. Including shipment costs, the saving is left to around 100€. Still good! I’m just a bit worried about the guarantee thing.
edit no.2: bigdreams looks nice. But actually they do not list Amplid as a brand they sell? No K2?
Posted: 01 October 2009 04:38 PM
Right… VAT is already included. It stands for Value Added Tax and is paid on everything in the UK appart from food and childrens clothes, it is already included in the price.
Because Germany and the UK are in the EU we don’t have to pay tax, it’s a freemarket in the EU. However that’s not the case in the states! I bought a set of pants from the States a couple of years ago and got blasted for tax…. ended up paying more than I would have in the UK.
Posted: 01 October 2009 04:41 PM
Shakespear distribution supply K2 in the UK. I know some of the guys there and I wouldn’t think that claiming on the warranty would be any more difficult than in Germany.. especially as your English is really good.
Posted: 01 October 2009 09:55 PM
Alright, I will check out my local stores first, though. They already offered giving me a free board bag if I buy it there. Maybe I can get some more out of it. Because if the saving out of the UK is only around 30€ or something, I will probably just buy it right here.
Hopefully I can check out the stores here, soon..
Posted: 08 October 2009 06:14 PM
Just a little update: I figured that the store I mentioned before, is originally located in the UK but ships to Germany FREE, having their own distribution office there. So same prices as the UK without any shipment. Neat stuff =)
I might be getting the Amplid Paradigma and the Union Force bindings for 637€ now.
edit: Oh and I forgot to mention that one even gets a free snowboard bag as a goodie =D
Posted: 10 October 2009 01:11 AM
Hello all, was gonna start a new topic but I figured my inqueries fit in this category… obviously I’m looking for a new board, of the all-mountain variety. My board history (the one’s I’ve owned and ridden for a long time):
Burton Custom 142 (waaay back when): board was probably my favorite, had it hooked up to an old pair of burton cfx bindings, it rode awesome. I was mainly a piste-park rider back then, though my all-mountain preference emerged as I grew, the board became too small for me and for my last ride on it in waist-deep pow at Mt Bachelor it was a nightmare.
Next board: K2 Zeppelin I think it was a 152: rode this board more than any, was a little stiff for my then-weak legs, but it served its purpose in helping me transition from park to all-mountain riding. Probably the board which impressed me the least. Very limited freestyle-wise.
Last board: GNU Rider’s Choice 154.5 (before BTX): this board I bought because I wanted a board with similar all-mountain characteristics to the other boards, but with more of a freestyle edge to it so I could begin advancing in the park. This is the board I learned to ride switch on. My riding changed from all-mountain to all-mountain-freestyle (which makes my ulltimate question seem all the more redundant), I started riding bigger transitions, cliffs, pipe and cornice, a lot more pow-riding than any of the other two boards, floated well but still took noticable effort from the back leg (hence my learning to ride switch ;-) ). Jibbed better than either of the previous boards.
which brings us to my board question(s), I’ve done some research and I think my next board comes down to the following (in no particular rank):
K2 Believer. Turn-ons: great pop, true twin, beast off the jumps, can handle rails, piste and pow and flatline tech. Turn-offs: this board doesn’t really seem to specialize in anything, which could be what I’m looking for, but I’d like something that is more… pow-esque. My main beef with this board is it’s ability to ride big transitions in Mt Bachelor-like powder, and for some reason I’m under the impression it is actually a directional twin which would detract from it’s switch-riding capabilities.
K2 Turbo Dream. Turn-ons: Rocker, but with free-ride leanings, All-Mountain-Freestyle, POWDER KILLER, solid on pretty much everything, Wille’s ride. Turn-offs: Rocker. Do I want it? How will it hold edge to edge (especially on piste)? Pop. Does this board pack the pop of the believer or any of my previous rides? pop is important in my riding as I still enjoy my park laps. And finally, rails. I like my switch-jibs, rails, natural plants etc so can this board handle rails or is it too unpredictable with the stiff-rocker profile? If I’m gonna get a rocker, it has to be something that I still can mess around on with pleasure: powerslides, butters, small transitions are always a laugh and are still a part of my riding style.
Never Summer Evo-R or SL-R: Don’t know which one I should get, I think it comes down to how well the SL-R rides switch and small transitions and how well the Evo handles powder. Probably leaning toward SL-R. Turn-ons: the coolest-looking rocker I’ve seen on the market, lots of positive reviews, very versatile, park-focused but free-ride proficient, THREE YEAR WARRANTY. Turn-offs: not much, again I’d like to know how these boards handle powder-kickers and rails (the rocker kinda seems like it would be a bit uncomfortable on rails but I don’t know I’ve never had one). also how do they rank pop-wise?
DC MLF: Turn-ons: This board is probably top on my wish-list. I heard this board has amazing pop and flex. Fast base, nose-tail profile really cool, traditional camber (meaning I’d be less-hesitant to purchase). Turn-offs: the board I’ve heard least about. DC is relatively new, so how is it durability-wise? seems to be of excellent craft, though rumors of easy-gashing on the board have reached mine ears. My biggest question: how well does this board float in powder? I know they say the tip-tail profile helps with landing in pow, but what if I just wanted to spray some roosters? Could I spend all day riding KT-22 powder bowls and cliff-drops on this board? Or would that just be unpleasant? Again, remember that I like to ride the whole mountain, and still adore riding park jumps and rails, pipe, small jibs buttering and everything so…
My needs seem to contradict themselves. I like euro-carving. I want a playful board that can handle the big mountain. A flex or profile that I can manipulate with jibbing, switch riding and buttering, but still packs plenty of pop *and stability. Something I could take from good-morning tracks in fresh pow to post-lunch park laps, jibbing and just plain messing around. And if I’m gonna get a rocker, I need something that can hold an edge, has good edge-to-edge and torsional stability. I want something all-mountain, but still freestyle. LOL.
Current boots and bindings:
Burton Cartel (the original)
Northwave Five
other boards in contention:
Rossignol Angus (seems a little too stiff)
Salomon Official
K2 Zero (pricey)
Stepchild JP
Ride Machete (unenthused, but not eliminated quite yet)
Nitro Rook
Amplid Paradigma (extruded base? not THAT lazy)
Posted: 10 October 2009 11:15 AM
Hi there! Wow, now that is a detailed post! =)
As you seem to be quite into the stuff already, I will let Rich and Tom do the detailed advice.
But I saw you put the Amplid Paradigma on to your list. As I will probably get that board, maybe I can say something about it:
It’s really hard to find any riding impressions or reviews about the paradigma on the web, so I collected the pieces of information via different sources, only indirectly correlating to the Paradigma.
The Extruded base was a matter to me, too. Maybe you read the answer by Rich to my question about the base on page 2 (http://www.snowboard-review.com/forums/viewthread/12/P15/#67)
Furthermore I found out that e.g. the Capita Stairmaster is using an extruded base. And from what I read, high quality extruded bases do not seem to be too bad at all.
Here you can read what Amplid told me about their extruded bases, if you didn’t already.
Regards!
Oh- and I almost forgot:
About the NeverSummer SL-R: Heard really great things about that deck and 3years warranty is still unbeaten! The design indeed is one of the hottest on the market, in my opinion. And a reason why I in the end decided to probably not go with the K2 Slayblade: If I am investing around 500 bucks for a deck, I do not really want to buy mainstream, at all =)
Posted: 10 October 2009 05:56 PM
yeah, the only problem for me with the Paradigma is it’s directional and like I said before I’m big on switch riding (probably why it’s at the bottom of my list). yes I did read what Rich said about the extruded base, which is not my biggest concern I just prefer sintered (much faster).
I hear what your saying about the slayblade, I took a long look at it but was unimpressed in the end- it seems like it’s more for just piste pipe and park, but I hear it’s not really a playful board which is something I’m definitely looking for. My old zeppelin was definitely a board I did not enjoy jib-wise. As for the SL-R, that’s probably second on my list behind the MLF, only like the slayblade the SL-R is very popular.
I’m just guaging the MLF. If it floats well in the pow I think it’ll be my new quiver. Also the Turbo Dream looks nice, just wanna know how playful/lively/poppy it is, especially for a rocker.
One more question: I saw on the DC website they have different versions of the MLF (not JUST the Ikka) called honeycomb directional, they have black bases. as I already know very little about this unpopular board, I don’t suppose anybody could tell me how they ride?
Posted: 11 October 2009 12:20 AM
Ok so here are my current rankings of the boards I’m looking at
1. Turbo Dream
2. MLF
3. Believer
4. SL-R
5. JP
6. Zero
7. Angus
8. Rook
9. Paradigma
the Turbo Dream looks like a sweet ride, though I don’t know if I’m ready for rocker yet, or does my tone suggest otherwise?
Posted: 11 October 2009 02:17 PM
Hi Rally & Zoryfl,
Like the build up to my input, but honestly folks I’m no board guru! Just ridden a few boards and have an idea what they ride like.
My first thought is that I agree with your initial scepticism regarding finding a board that is the business carving but also presses easily and butters all over the show, you won’t really find these characterisitics in the same board.
As far as rocker boards go, they’re great in powder, good snow conditions or softer spring snow, buy don’t feel great on ice. Camber on the other hand is predictable in all conditions and gives you that surefeel ride in carves, however, naturally camber encourages the nose of the board to dip so they’re not quite as easy to ride in deep powder, however this can be minimised by using taper or simply setting the bindings back a little, and to be honest unless you’re riding 2ft+ I don’t think you’ll have ny probs providing you’re riding a board of the correct length. On the other hand you could consider a board that uses a hybrid rocker like the Never Summer RC tech or Mervin Banana C2, or you could look at the other form which you’ll find on the Yes Boards, Nidecker CamRock or Rossignol Amptek, have a look in the Basics section in the board guide to find out the difference.
The fortunate thing is that between Tom and I we’ve ridden the majority of the boards you’re looking at. So i’ll summarise the pros and con’s of the boards you’re looking at.
Turbo Dream: Super easy to ride, felt loose and stable as soon as I got on it. Had plenty of pop off kickers and even rode well in the pipe (however, the pipe was fresh cut and had a layer of a couple cm of soft snow, basically it was perfect!). Nice and light in the air and great off piste, tons of float and stable on crud and tracked out stuff. I rode the Turbo Dream in the afternoon, so I can’t be sure how it rides on ice. Switch it was a beauty.
Believer: Tom’s just got back from riding the Beleiver in Argentina for 10 weeks. It’s a twin shape, and has flatline technology, but he’s been riding tons of powder and been dropping some reasonable sized cliffs, he said the board just loved the deep stuff. In the park he was doing rails and jibs as well as cab spinning off 12-15m tables and said it was super smooth and easy. The only downside was that it’s not a great carving board, he said it was a little wishy washy on big eurocarves on hard groomer. What you get with no camber.
Evo-R: THis boards a beast! I rode the 158, which might have been a bit long for me as reviews I’ve read from other people say it’s soft and forgiving, I thought it was powerfull and a bit of a raging beast. Although I could butter it, it was a bit of an effort. However, carving it was great and just cut through everything even death cookies!
Zero: My favourite board on the test. So damp and smooth, really powerfull but gracefull and forgiving too, just oozes refinement. Perfect for all-mountain freestyle, backcountry jumps, total piste and powder domination and great in the pipe. I think it may be a bit responsive for rails. Best on an edge or in the air.
JP: Tom loved this board, infact he rated it well above the Chamberlain. He found it much more versatile than he thought it would be, definitely not a jib only board. Hell JP invented the double cork, that guy is versatile.
DC: Tom road the BFB and HKD. Ithink the MLF sits between them… but haven’t ridden it.
Angus: I’ve had three Rossignol boards, and I’m currently riding a JDub (absolute animal), I’ve also ridden the new Yes boards which use the Camrock camber which is the same as Rossignol Amptek. Essentially they’re similar boards. The board gripped well, felt light and was a doddle to press, plus you’ve got camber between the feet for energy in out of carves and a rockered tip and tail for powder. Great concept, I’m not sure there’s quite as much pop as standard cambered boards, but its a good compramise. On the flex front it’s a 7/10 and the JDub is an 8/10 so it’s firm.
Rook: Not ridden this but our tester Kev absolutely loves it, infact it’s what he’ll be riding in Mayrhofen this season. All well and good when you get given them for free!
Paradigma: I’ve not ridden the Paradigma, but I’ve ridden the Falcanoid and the HiDef, and I’ll tell you something, Amplid boards are going places. You’ll get a lot out of the Paradigma if you’re a powerful and agressive snowboarder who likes to rail big carves, ride powder, hit the park and hit the odd box in the park, somewhere between the Custom and Custom X with regards to feel and pop.
One board that i’d look at is the Head Team I. this board has a Inteligence fibres which stiffen up as vibrations increase through their length. A kind of reactive stiffness. If you’re gunning it the board will stiffen up, slow down to jib about and the Team softens up. Dan Wakeham british olympic pipe rider uses the Team, he talks about it in the half pipe pro tip.
Any other questions just holla, hope my answers help.
Rich
Posted: 13 October 2009 01:43 AM
just one more question.
how does the Turbo Dream handle carves? I know it won’t carve as powerfully as a camber board. Does it hold an edge well, or is it kinda washy? I’m just worried that if I do get a rocker I’ll miss the variety of carves I can lay with cambered boards. But if the TD is smooth on the S-turns then I don’t think I’d have a problem giving it a try.
Posted: 13 October 2009 02:20 PM
I enjoyed the Turbo Dream in a carve on softish afternoon snow. It was great in a variety of radii and still felt poppy enough, although you still don’t quite get that cambered carving feeling. I’d say it’s a compramise worth considering if your day consists more of riding powder in a variety of terrain and hitting the park. If you’re spending more time laying down hand draggers on groomers, stick with camber.
Posted: 13 February 2010 01:22 AM
Zoryfl,
This is a long post but plenty of useful information.
I have the same requirements as you. Which board did you end up buying?
I have my eyes on an Alibi and One Mag because they offer the best value. Nonetheless, I will demo the following boards next week: Rossi One Mag, Never Summer Premier R, and Never Summer SL-R.
Below is a complete list of demo boards available. What else would you suggest I demo? I’m also open to Lib Tech /GNU suggestions in the $500 usd range.
Thank you in advance.
Burton Custom V Rocker
K2 Turbo Dream
K2 VaVaVoom Rocker
K2 World Wi Wp (Rock)
Lib Dark Series C2BTX
Lib Skate Banana
Never Summer Legacy-R
Never Summer SL-R
Rossi One Mag
Lib Tech Skate Banana
Burton Custom VR
K2 Turbo Dream
K2 World wide weapon
Rossignol One Mag
Never Summer Premier R
Never Summer Evo-R
GNU Park Pickle
GNU Carbon Credit
Posted: 13 February 2010 08:06 PM
Hey dude,
I ended up buying the Amplid Paradigma and until now, I do not regret it!
If I were you I would test the Skate Banana just because it is a SkateBanana and the TurboDream because I heard to much good about it.
I think the Atomic Alibi really is great ride, the one mag sounds a bit stiffer than the Paradigma and the Alibi so I think it would not have been best for me.
NeverSummer boards are seriously great rides, I’m sure you are going to have a lot of fun testing these decks. Make sure to tell us how you felt about them!
Posted: 22 February 2010 08:30 PM
I will demo the following boards next week: Rossi One Mag, Never Summer Premier R, and Never Summer SL-R.
Below is a complete list of demo boards available. What else would you suggest I demo? I’m also open to Lib Tech /GNU suggestions in the $500 usd range.
Thank you in advance.
Burton Custom V Rocker
K2 Turbo Dream
K2 VaVaVoom Rocker
K2 World Wi Wp (Rock)
Lib Dark Series C2BTX
Lib Skate Banana
Never Summer Legacy-R
Never Summer SL-R
Rossi One MagLib Tech Skate Banana
Burton Custom VR
K2 Turbo Dream
K2 World wide weapon
Rossignol One Mag
Never Summer Premier R
Never Summer Evo-R
GNU Park Pickle
GNU Carbon Credit
I was not able demo yesterday. The condition at Mammoth Mountain was horrible - near whiteout, snowing and 30+ mph wind.
I packed up and left but stopped at a shop. They had a Lib Tech TRS BTX for $359 and a Ride Concept UL for $459. The price on the TRS is about the same as the Atomic Alibi. Is TRS Banana is a good carver? The downside to a TRS is that it doesn’t have a sintered base.
I’m down to 3 boards:
K2 Zero price at $489 - couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that.
Atomic Alibi $319
TRS BTX $359
I will pull trigger once I hear your thoughts
Thanks again!